What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B position not showing up on Foreflight

Ffrankos

I have the Tail Beacon installed. The ADS-B performance reports from several flights show all parameters passing. However, I do not show my ADS-B position information including my N number on Foreflight, only my GPS position. I am not in anonymous mode. Anyone else have this? Am I missing a setting in Foreflight? I am seeing other ADS-B traffic.

It?s ok

You should NOT see yourself. I never have. YMMV. EchoUAT Safefly GPS, clean reports, 50 hrs running this way.

If you see your own plane while flying, that is typically called ghosting (I think) and it will drive you crazy because if you have Traffic Alerts On, it will scream at you constantly telling you that you are close to yourself :D

If you have a separate ADSB (Stratux) you can use it to see if it shows, but you should not see yourself in the airplanes ADSB out

It?s there.

When in the Foreflight map page, press the gear symbol and find connected devices and it will display what you’re transmitting.

You also need to ensure that on your iPad under ?Settings? , ?Privacy? that your ?Location Services? is turned on and ?ForeFlight? is set to ?While Using.?

You also need to ensure that on your iPad under ?Settings? , ?Privacy? that your ?Location Services? is turned on and ?ForeFlight? is set to ?While Using.?

That is not accurate, assuming you?re using an ADS-B IN device that provides position data.

The OP hasn?t told us what ADS-B IN device they?re using. The answer to that question will determine how much ADS-B IN diagnostics are available via More > Devices. Stratus and Sentry offer the most, with others offering somewhat less data.

Not sure on Foreflight but on FlyQ you can block any N number. If you have blocked you own N number then you will not show, which is a good thing.

That is not accurate, assuming you?re using an ADS-B IN device that provides position data.

The OP hasn?t told us what ADS-B IN device they?re using. The answer to that question will determine how much ADS-B IN diagnostics are available via More > Devices. Stratus and Sentry offer the most, with others offering somewhat less data.

I have the Sentry GPS/ ADS-B

Privacy setting

You also need to ensure that on your iPad under “Settings” , “Privacy” that your “Location Services” is turned on and “ForeFlight” is set to “While Using.”

Why should you have Foreflt set to “while using “? I looked and mine was set to Always. Not sure what the difference is. Also what causes ghosting and how to prevent it? I sometimes get ghosting. I have an EchoUAT getting gps from a GTN650.

Thanks

Last edited:
Why should you have Foreflt set to ?while using ?? I looked and mine was set to Always. Not sure what the difference is. Also what causes ghosting and how to prevent it? I sometimes get ghosting. I have an EchoUAT getting gps from a GTN650.

Thanks

There's no reason to have ForeFlight set to use position "Always," although it does not hurt anything either.

Ghosting.. If you have ADS-B Out installed, open ForeFlight Mobile while flying and go to MORE > DEVICES > (Your ADS-B IN Device) and check the OWNSHIP ADS-B OUT. If your N-number isn't shown, or if any of the readings inside the OWNSHIP ADS-B OUT menu are red, that's the likely cause of the ghosting. If you take a screenshot of what you're seeing and send an email with the screenshot to [email protected] that'll be a good first step.

If you have ADS-B Out and see a ghost target, it is most likely coming from the ground station that is unable to correlate your transponder position with your ADS-B Out position. This is more likely to occur during rapid maneuvering where your radar track/position doesn't keep up with your ADS-B track/position.

I have asked buddies flying along the same day if they can see me. Also, if you park your airplane on the ramp with the avionics on and drive across the airport with your Foreflight / Stratux/ Stratus / Scout type device with you in the car you should be able to see your N Number back at the airplane's target as long as you drove far enough away from the aircraft to disable the ghosting filter in the software.

Why should you have Foreflt set to ?while using ?? I looked and mine was set to Always. Not sure what the difference is. Also what causes ghosting and how to prevent it? I sometimes get ghosting. I have an EchoUAT getting gps from a GTN650.

Thanks

if you have it set to while using it will only pull location services when the app is open, so if you turn off the screen or switch to a diff app it will stop. If set to always it will cont to run in the background while jumping between apps (music/netflix/etc.)

Jon

Back