What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking my RV-7A to AirVenture

macrafic

Well Known Member
I have flown into OSH for many years (GA Camping in the North 40 and, the last 3 years, aging out in the UW Osh dorms!).

However, this will be the first time I will be flying my recently completed and tested RV-7A into the show.

Will be arriving early (Thursday or Friday before the show begins). Just curious what opinion people have about the best place to park in homebuilt parking (not camping), and the reasons, if given my choice. Likewise, are there areas to avoid?

Also, if flying in that early, will I be able to have any say in where I want to park? Most years, in the North 40, there is no choice.

Excited!!!!!

Congratulations

this will be the first time I will be flying my recently completed and tested RV-7A into the show.

Excited!!!!!

Congrats on this upcoming milestone-----it WILL be one of the momentous things in your life.

Make up a sign on a piece of cardboard, just put HBP on it in letters big enough to see from 50' away. There are folks along the runway who will send you in the right direction.

Yep, what Mike said. I took my 9A there about 3 weeks after completing Phase I in 2016, it was an awesome experience. Pretty sure I'll be coming back up there this year too.

HBC

Rich,
Judie and I would love to see you and Cindy in home built camping. You can't beat it for the total experience. Forget living off the airport, please try it for three nights.

Agree on HBC

I have to agree on Home Built Camping. My first trip to Oshkosh with my -7 was the most memorable because I camped by my plane and was able to spend time with other RV owners and builders. Then I got lazy and decided to just bring clothes and chair to stay off airport. I did that for a couple of years. Last year I flew with a fellow RV-7 owner who was there for the first time and he camped but I parked in HBP and stayed off airport. I must admit that I found myself hanging out at HBC and remembered that one of the main reasons the first year was so memorable was because HBC and all the people there. Give it some thought. If you are 100% against camping then part at HBP.

Homebuilt parking

Last year we arrived on Thursday and there was nobody marshaling aircraft. We found another RV and parked next to it. Homebuilder's Headquarters showed up shortly after and brought us in to register. There were lots of rows closer to the flightline with nobody yet parked. We could have pretty much put it anywhere we wanted.

Ed Holyoke

Hello Rich,

I supervise the volunteers in the homebuilt parking area. If you are arriving Thursday or Friday you'll be among the early arrivals. We start parking on the east edge of Area 51, which is the area just to the west of Van's tent, and work our way west. So you'll likely be in that area. If you have a particular special request, just speak to the marshaller when you get in. That early things are pretty slow and we can usually accommodate special requests.

If you get there and there are no marshallers around, just be patient. We spend most of our time setting up fences, cones, etc so might be occupied. We try to monitor the tower and catch the incomings but as Ed proved, sometime we miss one.

I will add mom voice to the chorus of camping on the field. Half the fun of Oshkosh is staying on the field and taking it all in, and in HBC you'll be close to the action, a big advantage over N40.

HBC

Rich I will trade you and Cindy one night in our tent for one night wherever you are staying if you want to give it a try. I know there are some issues, but you and Cindy have been very good to Judie and I.

Back