What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Nice panel

...but I saw something I had not seen before. What is the rectangular instrument on the far right with the blue buttons? A radio of some sort?

Thanks
Scott

Here are two shots of my instrument panel and fuel selector/fuel gages group. The panel (just finished in this photo...airplane was almost done)
is obviously very simple. Radios are Garmin 250XL and the 397 Xpndr. Vision Microsystems 1000 engine group. The fuel gages "panel" can be
removed for easier access to the battery (just forward). Circuit breaker panel was fun to build. This airplane is just for VFR, upside-down, local hops with the occasional "nice-weather" cross-country trips. When I want to fly IFR...I go to work (!). :)

Finishedpanelandcockpit.jpg

Fuelselectorvalveleatherboot.jpg

Last edited:
Here's that simple VFR panel of mine, again. I just added a little something to it... Every time I get in and out of the cockpit,
my left foot comes perilously close to that flap switch! Easy fix: I made a little guard for it, out of .063" aluminum.
That kept me busy for a couple of hours...
InstrumentPanelDec08.jpg

FlapSwitchGuard.jpg

Question

Kevin,
Looks really nice. I like red, no kidding!

Question; what is the thing on the far right side of the photo. It appears to be a rod that penetrates through the side skin into the cowl cheek extension. Some type of fresh air vent control? I love innovation. What have you got going there?

Again, great looking panel. Let us know how you like it.

Whooops! I thought immediately of the cowl pin on the left...didn't pay attention to the other side - Kevin is going to have to answer that one - I have no idea! :)

Last edited:
I guess I missed Stein's pre-edited post but I think he got it right. It's the copper tube through which the right-side cowl pin runs. The left side is identical. I don't like this mod too much. While it cleans up the exterior looks a bit, it makes stabbing the cowl pin considerably more difficult. I've gotten to where I can do it without too much pain or cussing but it's always a chore.

I hope this isn't too long-winded but, since you asked, I'll go ahead and jot down some impressions. Maybe this will help someone who's designing a panel and electrical system.

I've only been flying it a week now but I like the panel so far. I still have some adjustments to make. Most of the adjustments are to myself while I get used to flying with glass flight instruments and just getting used to flying again after a ground-bound year.

The new vent and heat systems are much better than before. I added a naca duct for the vent below the right cowl cheek. Now it gives me a decent breeze on the ground with the engine idling and a lot of air while flying. Of course I won't know if it will be enough air until summertime but it's definitely better. You can just see the heater duct outlet in the picture to the right of the switch panel. I tried that a couple of days ago in 0 degrees C and 180 knots. It kept me comfortable except for my left hand which normally sits in a strong breeze from a canopy leak. I'll probably add a "Y" to the plumbing to divert some air to the left side. Still, it's loads better than what I had before.

Note the "master/start/off" switch on the switch panel. This allows me to always avoid hitting the main bus with starter voltage spikes while also avoiding the addition of an avionics master switch. I've wired the starter relay into a stick-grip button but, with this switch, I don't have to worry about accidentally engaging the starter in flight.

I like the volt-ammeter on the switch panel. The AFS 3400 EFIS provides volts of course but it takes almost a full minute to start up. With this gauge, I can get a quick battery reading by just popping the main switch into start or master positions. Also I like being able to read battery current directly but the EFIS only supports alternator current measurements. I've wired the shunt so that I measure all battery current except for the starter. One reason for doing this is so I can easily monitor progress while charging via the cigarette lighter socket when the plane is powered down.

The DFII-VS autopilot is nice. I opted for auto pitch trim and I'm glad I did. It makes the autopilot truly automatic. I can just turn it on and forget it. The pitch trim tracks speed changes, climbs, and descents. It always seems to leave the trim spot-on when I take back control. The position of the controller isn't ideal for easy reading in my plane. The RV-4 cockpit is tight enough that there's a considerable angle from the instrument's face to the pilot's eye even though it's not that far from the center. It always seems to be in shadow and catching a reflection from something else when I look at it. Still, it's usable and I don't plan to change it. The only other issue is the internal magnetometer which is a little (or maybe a lot) off. I suspect the proximity to the vertical card compass is throwing it off just like it throws off my little hiking compass. I'll try another magnetic calibration on a day when I'm sure there's little wind.

The steam gauges have a similar viewing issue. There's no shadow or glare problem but the UMA EL lighting rings I'm using set the instruments back just enough so that, from the pilot's eye, the whole gauge faces can't be seen. Not a big problem and only the vertical card compass is really effected significantly. I can live with it.

I've got mixed feelings about the TCW trim controller that I got in the VAF group buy awhile back. I got the two-speed version and the airspeed switch. The slow mode at high airspeed makes setting precise pitch much easier than it was before. Also, it's at high airspeeds where the runaway trim safety feature is most important. At slow speeds, the pitch trim rate is less than I would prefer. I've set the control pot fully clockwise but the trim rate still seems slower than before. It's exacerbated by the 3 second time limit. This is most apparent during touch-and-goes where I need to go from full up-trim to slight down-trim in a short period of time. I sometimes have to use both hands on the stick since it's not that easy to hold a lot of forward pressure while working the china hat trim button with my thumb and periodically cycling it. I'm wondering if the controller is giving me full voltage to the servo because it seems slower than what I remember. I'll have to pull the servo and check the voltage sometime soon. Also, it'd be nice not to have the 3-second limit at slow speed.

An RV Carol

The Ghost of RV Past

panelm.jpg

The Enjoyable Horror of RV Present

dsc03584v.jpg

The Anticipation of RV Future Care to take a guess?

dsc03722ja.jpg

Last edited:
.......the ghost who goes by the name of Stein?

Only for the harnesses, pieces and parts. Cut the panel myself.

Should have the panels painted today and hope to get them mounted with the expensive stuff later in the week so I can update the picture.

P.S. Mike at Steinair did a beautiful job on the harnesses.

Any manual flap handle pics?

Went through the pics, and did various search engines trying to find a pic where it shows the handle for those with manual flaps. I haven?t been able to find any. If anyone has a pic already handy, I?d really appreciate one showing it. I would like to see how it fits in there.

wj

Done!...Finally

Well, it took a few weeks longer than expected. Something about starting a new job that detracts from more important things like RV's.

Completely new panel. New Side panel with switches and breakers. New center console with a slot that my knee board fits perfectly in. Just waiting to figure out the new interior upholstery colors before putting in the stick boot.

GRT 8.4" Sport with internal GPS, ARINC, and battery back-up coupled to the new Trio Pro Pilot. Garmin stack with SL30, GTX327, and GMA340. IFR capable but not until it's fully tested.

dsc03722ja.jpg

Sir,
I want to put my radios in the same location. Did you cut the cross bar behind the panel in order to mount you radios. Can you take some picture of the panel from underneath? Thanks.

Axel,

I have two cross braces (alum angle) behind the panel. The avionics are below their level and the aft one is actually raised about a 1/2" using some spaces and AN3 bolts. The SL30 is supported by two vertical pieces from the aft cross brace to the sides of the tray.

I'll take a look through my pictures at home tonight but not sure I have one that would describe it without all the clutter in the way (wires, terminal strips, etc.).

How about this?

3329po7.jpg

It used to be pretty tough to put IFR instruments in an RV4 panel. Now there's room to spare!

M

Last edited:
1zw2cl3.jpg

It used to be pretty tough to put IFR instruments in an RV4 panel. Now there's room to spare!

M

Looks sweet! If you ditched the compass (TT has one) and go with a smaller altimeter you could maybe get the 496 all the way in the panel.
Have fun!

Last edited:
A few humble thoughts for you. The canopy frame comes down over the top/front edge of the panel so you'll need to be sure to leave space there especially around the top corners of the EFIS. Also, with the 496, you really don't need the other back up instruments. If you have an EFIS failure, the panel page in the 496 could be your back up. The compass is not necessary as you have heading in the TT and legally your magnetic heading is in the EFIS. Last thought for you is if you are going with the 430W and planning on IFR you may want an autopilot that does GPSS & GPSV especially in the -4 which can be pretty squirly in turbulence.

Brent,

Your plan is something very similar to what I did. The only real noticeable difference is that I used the D6 for backup versus the steam gauges. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

138d41a3a9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Why I did what I did

A few humble thoughts for you. The canopy frame comes down over the top/front edge of the panel so you'll need to be sure to leave space there especially around the top corners of the EFIS. Also, with the 496, you really don't need the other back up instruments. If you have an EFIS failure, the panel page in the 496 could be your back up. The compass is not necessary as you have heading in the TT and legally your magnetic heading is in the EFIS. Last thought for you is if you are going with the 430W and planning on IFR you may want an autopilot that does GPSS & GPSV especially in the -4 which can be pretty squirly in turbulence.

Thanks for the input. Tips like yours have saved me a ton of headaches over the course of this project.

I ended up with the layout as shown for several reasons, mostly driven by preference:

1) I always like mechanical backups for the pitot and static instruments. If the TT EFIS dies, the steam gauges are the only way to know my airspeed and pressure altitude. Oh, and I happen to have these instruments laying around anyway. Might as well get some use out of them. Also, there's some speculation that a DAR would require a TSO'd altimeter.

2) The TT EFIS is unique among EFIS systems, as it does not have a magnetometer (nor does it need one, but this is off-topic). To know magnetic heading, I either need another EFIS w/magnetometer, or a whiskey compass. I could probably get by without either, but I like having some way of knowing which way I'm going when the cards are down.

3) The TT EFIS AP IV has a crazy amount of capability for the price and size, including engine monitoring and a full 2-axis autopilot with GPSS and GPSV. Since the -4 is a handful in the clouds, the instrument to the left of the EFIS is a TruTrak ADI Pilot II, which serves as a backup attitude indicator and 2-axis autopilot. I figure 2 autopilots is better than one (though I still hope to be able to hand fly the -4 in the clouds). Actually, I thought long and hard about putting a Dynon D6 in this spot (backup attitude and air instruments, magnetometer, AOA all in one little box), but the autopilot won out after some input from a few pilots with much more experience and skill than I'll ever have.

4) I'm personally not a big fan of putting handheld GPSs in the panel. It just doesn't look right to me, and it seems like handheld GPS form factors change much more quickly than radios and instruments, so a special cutout for the 496 may not be useful in 5-10 years. I prefer a short RAM mount attached to the panel or nearby structure.

Prompted by other threads on this forum, I triple-checked the fit of everything under the canopy frame, and all is well. Definitely an important step!

Cheers,

Matthew

Brent,

Your plan is something very similar to what I did. The only real noticeable difference is that I used the D6 for backup versus the steam gauges. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

138d41a3a9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Man, that looks almost EXACTLY like an earlier version of my design. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Are your controls rigged? How close does the stick get to the 430 w/full down elevator?

Matthew

The controls are rigged and I have about 1" clearance as a guess. I've never really measured it but there is a comfortable amount of clearance with my setup.

I agree with your statement about the 496 in the panel. If I had it to do over again, I would come up with another plan for that portion.

Making progress...

2hmdhcm.jpg

Using a CNC mill isn't cheating if you built the mill yourself...

The final plan is, left to right:

PS Engineering PMA5000EX
Garmin SL-40 Com
Garmin GTX327 Transponder

TruTrak EFIS AP4+Engine data
Garmin GNS430W

Dynon D6
Garmin 496 on RAM mount

I decided to try a modular panel. The inserts will be screwed to the old panel structure with #6 countersunk screws. Since the original panel is mostly cut away, I'll brace it with 3/4" angle running along the bottom and vertically between the panel inserts. I'll also add some light bracing between the panel structure and the crosspiece at F402.

M

There you are. . .

This is one airplane I have always wanted to own. Ever since I rode in the back seat when it was brand new. Now I am lusting after it even more. You really did a nice job updating Frank's airplane. Nice to see the airplane find a good home. I have watched it over the years pass through a few owners. Wishing one was going to be me. Maybe someday :D I just realized something. . . this is THE FIRST RV I ever rode in. No wonder it is so special to me. . .

The Ghost of RV Past

panelm.jpg

The Enjoyable Horror of RV Present

dsc03584v.jpg

The Anticipation of RV Future Care to take a guess?

dsc03722ja.jpg

Last edited:
No luck

I tried uploading a picture of my panel and it doesn't work...can't figure that URL's thing...:confused:
I know where the picture is on the computer but can't find the URL

I'll keep on flying airplane for a living, it's a lot simpler..:rolleyes:

No Joy

Axel

I tried right clicking on the picture like you said, I get a ''URL'' or at least where the picture is on the computer ..
If I copy the location then paste it in the URL window that come up when I click ''insert picture'' all I get is something like this...

but no picture show up when I check ''preview post''':confused:

It will be a look easier if we could just attach a picture to the post like an email..
Well I tried...maybe someday...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally found out how to upload a picture here, now all I need to do is find a way to re-size it( in Image shack ) so it doesn't take the whole screen....getting there

Last edited:
Old plane, new panel

Here's the end result of my avionics upgrade project. In the end, I literally replaced every wire in the aircraft, but the result is a nice, compact, IFR capable setup with GPS roll steering, WAAS approaches, greater redundancy than any certified aircraft I've ever flown, and almost anything else you could want.

For fun and good looks, I chose to flush mount all of the avionics. I like the results.

Also, I categorically dislike panel docks for handheld GPS units, so I opted for a RAM mount for the 496. I know most people prefer the panel docks. Sorry.

I still need to label everything, but I couldn't wait to post a pic.

Check it out:

16b0dq1.jpg

Air vent

Foka4,
Thanks very much for posting a photograph of your panel project. I noticed you have installed a Vetterman vent in the canopy skirt. Are you happy with it, and would you recommend it? How did you deal with the curve of the skin? I would greatly appreciate it if you have any photographs to share.

Sincerely, Brian

Brand new and need advice

I am buying a 4 which has the magnetic compass uniquely mounted under the panel, attached to a tray where the centre console would be if there were one. I am very happy to see so many photos of panel mounted compasses. Has anyone had any problems with compass errors caused by their mounting location? Were any precautions taken or needed to prevent such errors? Thanks in advance, Slats.

Compass errors

any problems with compass errors caused by their mounting location? Were any precautions taken or needed to prevent such errors?

Ours has a remote unit that is mounted just behind the rear baggage wall.

Here's my RV-4 panel ( Part 3)

Well let's try again to upload that picture..

2i6yvcy.jpg
[/IMG]

Soon to be replaced by a 7'' Skyview or a 10'' Skyview if I can sell this one...

Bruno
[email protected]

Panel Almost Complete

Paul
Is it a 7'' Skyview you have install there?

By looking at the Avmap for size, I will say yes but would like to confirm..

Thanks

Bruno

1st Generation Panel

This panel is the 1st generation panel for my RV-4. I've since added an auto-pilot and a CO2 detector. I'll get that photo out after I take a photo of it. This panel was completed in 2003.

16868fm.jpg

Originally Posted by stevanlcrawford
Here are two shots of my instrument panel and fuel selector/fuel gages group.

I'm looking to install a Flap switch like yours. Can't find any, do you have a P/N ? and where I can buy one?

P.S. Great panel :)

Thanks
Remy

RV-4 Glass Light

IMG_2570.JPG

Dynon DA-10, EIS engine monitor, Transponser & Transciever are microAir (would go with ICOM next time), the entire electric system is Exp-Bus

Nice job bruce! That's almost the exact setup I had in my RV6 for many years...D10A and 196. It'll get you 90% of where/when you need to go and doesn't weight/cost much!

Cheers,
Stein

This is the old panel that was in the plane when I purchased it:
Whiskeyhotel_panel.jpg

This is the Mark II Mod I panel:
IMG_0504.jpg

Mod II now involves getting rid of the transponder (bought a Mode S for the Skyview) and finding a good spot to put a backup EFIS & a mount for the 496.

I had Kent Gorton do the panel install. He does great work for a very reasonable price.

Dan

Back