What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator construction SB14-02-05

NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
I'm currently working on the RH elevator skeleton and I'm at the point of installing the spar reinforcement plates to satisfy SB14-02-05 as a preventative measure. Since Vans doesn't provide dimensions for the .063 plates I thought I'd simply make them like I did the E-411/410 plates but should I make them the same length and match drill all the holes? The PP kit from Vans has a different hole pattern and are clearly shorter to allow installation in a finished elevator where you'd be working through the opening in the LE. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Spar reinforcement plates

After looking at the plates that Van's provided, and seeing all the holes that did not line up, I went another way. I used the same thickness aluminum, but made the reinforcement plate one piece from side to side, not two different pieces. If I had a completed aircraft I would have used the two plates to keep from having to make up a new fairing, but did not have that worry at my stage of build.

Back