What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your thoughts on wrapping instead of painting?

Ofitz

I was looking at doing a wrap a while back but decided to wait since the technology was so new. I just saw that Rob Holland is wrapping his MXS, so I'm guessing it's safe at this point.

What are your thoughts? It's much lighter and you can get a much more intricate design.

Does anyone know cost compared to painting? and durability / repair-ability?

Thanks!

We are here too.

Rob's wrap is on our facebook and instagram.

I'd have to say that Rob Holland proves AircraftWraps proprietary process every time he leaves the ground ;)

good to hear. I had filled in the contact form on your web site a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back... .

Oliver,

Very sorry. We are experiencing growth issues beyond our expectations. Currently we have 6 aircraft in various stages of wrap. We found an email issue mid last week and while working through that issue... Rob Holland showed up Thursday and we worked 20 hour days to achieve this wrap within his extreme schedule.

From never actually touching the aircraft through Template, computer renderings adjusted to curvature, installation process designed, production to include printing 24 hours straight through the night, lamination, cutting, packaging for transport, coordinating and dispatching my amazing team to Sebring, OH YA... and we had to install only between his 3 daily flights!?:eek: (think NASCAR pit crew to the extreme over a 3 day/20hr a day period)

Thursday arrival and I'm typing this Tuesday night editing video of an amazing aircraft with a matching amazing wrap... Kinda cool in my book!:D

No excuses, but please except my apology and I'll personally follow up with you tomorrow.

Regards,

Scott

Is a wrapped aircraft more susceptible to significant static charge buildup? And if so, will static wicks help given the non-conductive property of the vinyl and/or the adhesive?

Bevan

When I looked into it, the cost versus material life didn't work for me. The cool factor for printed on etc goes way up, but then the price does as well. For typical RV three color pattern it wasn't much cheaper than single stage paint...which lasts for decades and is repairable. I also find the stated weight savings questionable. However....those Titan planes look seriously cool. I would like to know what it would cost a client for that level of detail. No question that if you're going into that level of detail, wrapping can do quite amazing things.

Last edited:
Bill's right: there are already a lot of great conversations residing here in the VAF, and the search function makes this place a fantastic asset.

However, I'd like to modify Ofitz's question a little, and direct it toward those of you have have logged A LOT of hours on your wrapped airplanes.

- How is the wrap holding up? Any degradation in the color, finish, adhesion, or seams?

- What about water creep into the seams...are you seeing it happen?

- After your many hours of flight, are you finding signs of sub-surface corrosion?

These are among the nagging questions.

Last edited:
- How is the wrap holding up? Any degradation in the color, finish, adhesion, or seams?

- After your many hours of flight, are you finding signs of sub-surface corrosion?

- NO. Point of fact is that the adhesion only gets stronger with time.

- ??? water creep into seams? Thats not how it works.

- after how many hours does corrosion form under paint? We have not seen any under our wraps. (The installation process we developed prevents this)

-
--- ??? water creep into seams? Thats not how it works.

Thanks, great answers. Let me try to clarify. Those of us who haven't yet had the opportunity to examine a wrapped airplane envision sheets of vinyl applied to the aircraft. Each sheet has an edge. We figure you overlap the edges of adjoining sheets to try and prevent water intrusion and edge peel. From lack of a better term, I call that union a 'seam.'

If, rather than overlapping the edges, you actually butt the edges together along a cut line, then that truly becomes an edge-to-edge seam. I imagine such a seam would heighten the risk of water intrusion.

The fact is I don't know how you accomplish the transitions between sheets, and how you prevent water intrusion. If water intrusion isn't an issue, that's fantastic news: I just want to understand how it's prevented.

Now I hope you understand my question.

One experiance

Bill's right: there are already a lot of great conversations residing here in the VAF, and the search function makes this place a fantastic asset.

However, I'd like to modify Ofitz's question a little, and direct it toward those of you have have logged A LOT of hours on your wrapped airplanes.

I am at two years and 250 hours, a DIY amateur and unbiased...

Color and finish like new. No adhesion problems.

Seams; improper installation can cause a small amount of edge lifting. Placement of seams makes a big difference. Seam sealer applied after helps a lot, but if seams are placed correctly not needed.
My HulaGirl as you can see is half bare. (Pun intended). The edge right at the wing leading edge takes a beating. There are both an overlapped seam of film and a film to bare aluminum. Poor place for both types of seams. But they are holding up very good. Not 100% like new but I personally am not concerned.
When I first flew the finished plane a very small amount of the film at the vinyl/bare seam chipped off. About five 1/8" chips, no pealing or lifting, this stuff does not peal off. But the 200 mile an hour headwind in light rain did chip away these little flakes in the first 50 hours. Seam sealer applied has stopped this now for 200 hours.
If you look at the scheme of my plane you will see I have a lot of color to color transitions and bare to color...none are lifting or alowing water to creep in.

You ask "after many hours...corrosion ..." My 250 does not qualify really. Someday for one reason or another I will be pealing off a film section. Then I can compare against polished bare aluminum. Not the comparison you are probably looking for.

Is vinyl the "new paint"? No. It is not for everyone, either is polished aluminum. But either (or both) give great curb appeal and add ten knots. :D
Sorry best answer I can give so far, but I hope that helps.

My install thread report.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Bruce,
Thank you! That was right on target. Great write-up with useable info to ponder.

Bruce,

Love your hula girl.

You are very correct. Installation and prep makes all the difference. AircraftWraps only utilizes material that we have personally tested as well.

You might imagine Rob Hollands plane will be utilized both at 215kt cross country flights and aerobatics with aerodynamic forces from all directions.

https://vimeo.com/121873151

Robs choice to trust AircraftWraps with his only income source (his plane) gives us great pride.

He only became our client (not sponsored) after detailed explanations on how our process differs from any other source available. AircraftWraps has real world experience gathered from testing every aspect to include 340mph flights at altitudes up to 25,000'. (We also now work with corp flight departments placing foundation and company logos on Jet Catagory aircraft).

BTW: everything that aircraftwraps is now comes from an RV builder/dreamer riveting that beautiful machine together in my garage.

Not officially announced yet: We have partnered with a local aircraft paint company to offer our certified aircraft a single color paint and all vinyl accent option. This option will still offer our customers a cost saving compared to the traditional all paint process. (AircraftWraps listens to our customers concerns and we find solutions...always)

*typed on iPhone... Sorry for any errors

Aircraft Wrap....

I also sent a message to you via your contact form.... I don't think it worked for me either...

I'm in no rush - I know you guys are busy. Just looking for pricing info so I can budget for it....

Back