What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Overcharging in Flight

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I went up this afternoon for a while and got a battery voltage warning of 14.5-14.6 volts. I cycled the alternator regulator off and back on, and it went right back to the same indication. I have a (wait for it....) PlanePower alternator. Should I just bite the bullet and order a B&C alternator and regulator now and avoid what appears to be inevitable problems? Or is there something I can do to resolve this?

I shoulda done more research. It's a PC-680 and from what I read after I posted (see? don't do that) apparently it likes up to 14.7 volts, so I'll just watch it and see if I see any significant fluctuation. I just had an old mindset from the old flooded cell batteries. Thanks!:D

As others said, an Odyesse battery should be fine. But if you're concerned, double check the alternator field line for any voltage drops. The PP uses that as the sense line, and its internal regulator will up the output if there are drops on that line.

Maybe you should sell that PP alternator to me real cheap and buy a B&C so you can sleep better? :) Larry

As others said, an Odyesse battery should be fine. But if you're concerned, double check the alternator field line for any voltage drops. The PP uses that as the sense line, and its internal regulator will up the output if there are drops on that line.

I'm no electrical guru, so this question will probably be stupid, but if the battery was a few years old and was beginning to have problems holding a charge, would this possibly be manifested with this level of charging current? The battery is a three years old plus or minus, but had not flown until late last November and it's been sitting in the hangar without being used for a couple of months due to the bad weather and wind.

No. The voltage regulator just sets voltage; it doesn't see current, at least not directly. There will be more or less current, as needed, to maintain setpoint voltage.

variance

I have seen up to half a volt variance in my RV also... depending on where the voltage reading is taken... and by what meter. The Dynon and the Garmin and the panel mount meter never agree completely. Go figure.

I have seen up to half a volt variance in my RV also... depending on where the voltage reading is taken... and by what meter. The Dynon and the Garmin and the panel mount meter never agree completely. Go figure.

Not surprising; variations in the calibration of the meters themselves, combined with various E^2/R losses due to wire size, connector(s), and load on that line, would all drive up the chance of inconsistent readings.

All that really matters is the actual voltage the battery sees, and whether the regulator is seeing a close approximation of that.

Charlie

Back