What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Over voltage alarm spiked to 19.9-20.0V

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Just landed this evening when my alarm triggered.
I have the Van's alternator with built in VR.

I didn't have time to troubleshoot, but is it worth replacing the VR?
Or just order a B&C.

Shutting off the ALT switch cycled it down to battery 12.6.
Normally runs at 14.3-.6

This is the original alternator & has been running 10 1/2 years.

Take to a local auto parts store and have them check it. 10.5 years is a nice long time for a cheap alternator. I'd either get it fixed locally or replaced with a matching unit from the parts store.

Dan,

The quickest and cheapest way to get back in the air is to just buy another Van's 14684 60A alternator. Advance Auto sells them (say you have a 1990 Suzuki Samari, p/n 14684A) for $88, and if you use the "Order Online, Pickup In Store" option, with the coupon code TRT30 (30% off $50+) to bring the cost down to $62. There is a $22 core charge that you'll get back. You'll have to swap the pulleys (use an impact wrench) to remove and install the old pulley nuts.

To prevent this from happening again, invest in a B&C Over-Voltage protector (http://www.bandc.aero/over-voltageprotectionmodule.aspx) for $40.

If I was to build over again, I'd go with buying a B&C alternator. However, it's too much hassle to install it now with it's separate external regulator. Plus...it's sort of nice having an alternator I can source at almost any auto-parts store!

Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Thank you Jesse & Mike.
That was a quick response from both of you.

I'll take it off tomorrow & go to the autoparts store. Especially, when I checked the $500+ price tag for the other replacements.:eek:

Mike, you can count me in as a volunteer again at Osh2017 for the 2nd annual beer tasting.

Update: Alternator replaced. $67.45. Back in the air. :)

Last edited:
Back