What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Holes in bulkhead 706,707 and 708 - RV7

AN23

Well Known Member
I am not the builder but I have plans and construction manual, have reviewed them thoroughly and cannot find the answer to this question. The drawings seem to suggest it's ok but only in reference to static line installation on opposite side.

We are doing avionics upgrade and need to run additional wiring from front to back. The existing holes (one in each bulkhead) in the aft bulkheads are already filled with wiring and we don't want to disturb them anyway. Is it ok to drill another 1/8 inch hole in each bulkhead (right side looking forward), install another snap bushing and run the new wires thru the new holes?

Holes

I am not the builder but I have plans and construction manual, have reviewed them thoroughly and cannot find the answer to this question. The drawings seem to suggest it's ok but only in reference to static line installation on opposite side.

We are doing avionics upgrade and need to run additional wiring from front to back. The existing holes (one in each bulkhead) in the aft bulkheads are already filled with wiring and we don't want to disturb them anyway. Is it ok to drill another 1/8 inch hole in each bulkhead (right side looking forward), install another snap bushing and run the new wires thru the new holes?

On 706, 707 & 708 it's probably fine but Vans has some specifics as to where on some bulkheads like 704 and 705.
There are edge distance measurements from existing holes and areas not allowed to drill.
I recommend asking Vans before drilling to be sure.

Thanks Larry. I did send an email to Van's. I sort of figured that's where I was going to have to go but didn't know if I was missing something in the plans or manual.

Manual

Thanks Larry. I did send an email to Van's. I sort of figured that's where I was going to have to go but didn't know if I was missing something in the plans or manual.

Nothing in the manual but they do have a couple letters about 704 and 705. I haven't seen anything on the aft bulkheads. Usually something like 2D away from any other hole is ok.

Back