What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best phase to transport an RV-10

nbachert

Well Known Member
The military will be moving me soon and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to move my project. I have all windows attached except one and the forward windscreen. I think it would be best to rivet on the forward section and glue the windscreen down and move it as a whole rather then risk breaking the windscreen. Also, I have it on a low table I built that has four wheels on it. Would it be better on its gear for transporting? I would think that it would allow for bounces on the gear better than on a solid object however it will be more difficult getting into a truck. Also, I have the engine but it's not mounted, think that should get mounted to help balance? Any comments or previous experiences are much appreciated. Thanks

Nick

My thoughts:
- Install the front glass
- Keep it off the gear. Add padding between the bottom of the fuselage and floor of the truck. Use your table with wheels to get it in the truck but then take it off the table to strap it down. Keeping it on the table will add instability for the ride.
- Install the engine mount but not the engine. The mount will provide a nice hand hold to move the fuselage and anchor points for tieing it down.
- Engine stays in the shipping crate.
- Tail feathers off.

Carl

I agree with Carl. If you put the gear on, getting on some trucks could be problematic. The wheelbase is wider than many trailers and truck beds. It will also make loading aroung the plane more difficult.

Just did this a few months ago - 26' Uhaul. I didn't have the glass installed. I definitely wouldn't put it on the gear. I kept it on the table I built and the table just fit (talking 1" on either side) between the raised wheel wells on the floor - something I wasn't planning on having to deal with. I mounted the engine mount to secure in front and tied off the tail as you can see in the pic. 700 miles and not a mark on anything. Pretty big undertaking - glad it's over:D

6B4541C9-4541-4572-97E3-966B1F490BAC_1.jpg

I included this shot so you can see the table it was on:

992D7BAF-2996-428D-B629-F059DA2B560F_1.jpg

Back