What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Gov Gasket

johnfurey

Well Known Member
I pulled my Gov because of a small oil leak. The gasket on it has a screen but the gasket the repair shop has does not have a screen and they tell me either one is fine. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

My Hartzell has a screen. It is there to keep big trash out of the mechanism. Would not want my governor to stick due to some debris and become unresponsive. You can operate your engine without a filter, been done for years. Would you do it now?

My parts manual for the O-360-A1A (and other models) for both the narrow and wide deck version call out a 72053 gasket.

GASKET%2072053.jpg

Perhaps the gasket with the screen is called out by specific governor manufacturers rather than by Lycoming?

Spruce doesn't give a Lycoming number for the gasket with the screen -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/propgovgasket.php

Methinks the gasket with the screen is a prop gov manufacturer item and not Lycoming as the Lycoming part number for a screen-less gasket is associated with just a flat cover plate (with no recess for a screen) and not a specific gov (at least in the 540 parts catalog).

FWIW new Hartzell, MT, and PCU prop govs all come with gaskets with screens.

Last edited:
If memory serves:

gasket with screen is between the governor and adapter. I seem to remember another gasket, very similar in configuration, between the adapter and the engine case.
I think I would want the screen.....

gasket with screen is between the governor and adapter. I seem to remember another gasket, very similar in configuration, between the adapter and the engine case.

That's what I found as well when I did my FP to CS conversion.

That's what I found as well when I did my FP to CS conversion.

Depends on the engine model: I believe the 320/360 have an adapter, while I know that the 540 does not.

John - just to add something, are you sure it is the Governor gasket leaking? It is very common to have the adaptor to case gasket leak. Double check. If it is the adaptor to case gasket, better to know now than after you had easier access when the Governor was off, and find out later it was the adaptor!

Thanks everyone and I think you are all correct. Lycoming calls for the plain gasket. WW supplies one with the prop that has a screen. I am certain that the leak was between the engine case and the Gov pad but I had to seperate the Gov first to get the long adapter shaft out of the case. WW said their gasket is reusable. I decided to do this while my PMags are out for software update and I don't want to do this again so I had them send a new one.

I would recommend the one with a screen in it anyway. Yeah it's more expensive but worth it when it keeps metal out of the govenor. Ask me how I know.

Related question: The screen on my governor gasket has an "innie" and an "outie" side. Does it matter which side goes towards the engine?

Related question: The screen on my governor gasket has an "innie" and an "outie" side. Does it matter which side goes towards the engine?

It did on my MT governor I installed a couple months ago. They had specific instructions on how it faces when installed but I can not remember and I am now back home.

Back