What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shuttle landing strip fly over.

I just did this a month ago. Just contact them and ask for permission. I don't recall the freq. I believe it is NASA Approach....

I would love to join you for the NASA part!

When are you planning on going? I still have to finish up phase 1 but if I'm done by then I'm a quick hop away in south east Alabama.

No different than flying thru a class D airport. When headed south they will ask your intentions when departing there area. Have a plan ahead of time. Three miles of runway is fun, they will clear you at 100 foot altitude. Check out the 'guns' along side the runway. Probably used to clear any birds. Have a great trip.
79A06D41-EB7A-4D09-A1DC-1CAA4F91D3AE.jpg

Just call NASA Tower on 128.55 and they will clear you for a low pass as long as they don't have a launch scheduled.

Or have Daytona Approach (125.800) coordinate it for you as you get closer. They get this request all the time since NASA tower isn't always operational.

:cool:

Or have Daytona Approach (125.800) coordinate it for you as you get closer. They get this request all the time since NASA tower isn't always operational.

:cool:
True, NASA Tower is basically a Mon-Fri 8 to 5 operation these days. Daytona or Orlando approach can tell you if the Restricted Area (R-2934) is cold, and then the NASA Tower frequency (128.55) is the CTAF for the airfield when the tower is closed. Note that R-2932 and R-2933 are pretty much always "hot", so be careful and don't stray in to either of those.

Hey Rick,
Good info above. Just be careful as R-2934 is hot 4/18 and possibly later if there is another delay. SpaceX had a launch set up for earlier this week but had a delay already. As mentioned R-2932 is continuous and very close to the Eastern edge of the runway. Easy to miss. Just keeps you away from the EAB and launch pads.
I am yet to talk with the tower. I just talk to Orlando Approach 134.95. It maybe that I go on weekends.

Lincoln (KLNK) was an alternate landing site for the space shuttle in an emergency. The runway way is 12,901' x 200'. It is freaky to land on. The site picture is weird because it is so freaking big. At touch down it is like you are sinking with no bottom.

Last edited:
Plans

We will be a little flexible on the wx, but the plan is depart Saturday April 26
DAY 1
CYQG to KCRW for customs (Charleston yeager)
KCRW to KEHO for lunch
KEHO to KLCQ hotel (Lakecity florida overnight on ap26)
DAY 2
KLCQ to KTTS (overfly runway, goof around florida a bit)
KTTS to KFPR hotel and rendezvous with our 172 x2 crews April 27
DAY 3 to the islands!
KFPR to MYAM customs on the islands
MYAM to MYCH (hawksnest resort) for 4 nights with various island hops
DAY 7 back to the US
MYCH to MYAM customs to leave May 2
MYAM to KFPR customs US
KFPR to KAVL overnight May 3
DAY 8 Home
KAVL to CYQG customs done back to reality. May 4

Another RV adventure. That's the plan stan! Smoke on

Hey Rick,
Enjoy the trip and we want lots of pictures.
If you find yourself in need of assistance while in Fl. just give a yell.

Thanks

Appreciate that. Plane is all gone over, three greens. Hope I don't need anything, but will drop a line if I do thanks.

Looking forward to a great trip. Been a horrible winter in the great white north, the islands of the Bahamas is somewhere all of us have always wanted to fly.

Lots of small strips and cool beaches to find and beers to drink. :)

Back