What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting a 396

jeff beckley

Well Known Member
Not sure where to post this question.
I am redoing my panel in my RV7. My 396 was located in the panel with an airgizmo. Now that I installed a new glass EFIS I have no room in the panel for the 396.
Where has some installed theirs? I am thinking of some kind of mount below the throttle in the center but I can not figure out how to mount it.
Some advise please?

On the left longeron is a good place..

....I made a bracket from a piece of .062 and pop-rivetted it to the left longeron and used the mount of the lead shot bags attached with either double-sided tape or velcro.

DSCN0395.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
I am redoing my panel in my RV7. My 396 was located in the panel with an airgizmo. Now that I installed a new glass EFIS I have no room in the panel for the 396.
Where has some installed theirs? I am thinking of some kind of mount below the throttle in the center but I can not figure out how to mount it.
Some advise please?
If you have a slider, you can pick up and use the two existing holes through the rollbar weldment to install an .063 shelf. The GPS is held fast to it with Garmin supplied adhesive paper.

Even though I have a 430 fitted in the instrument panel, I almost always refer to the sill mounted GPS because comparatively, it is easier to view, access and manipulate.

The location also provides a convenient place to hang my headsets too.

o0djt0.jpg

Another alternative...

Is to use a RAM mount. If you have room at the bottom of your panel (or elsewhere) for a 1 inch ball mount, you can then get various RAM mounting arms to position the GPS where you want it. In this picture you can barely see the ball mount attached to the panel just under the main knob on the transponder.

gps3.jpg

Good luck!

Try this:

I like having the GPS in front of the panel, rather than imbeded in a Gizmo mount. That way you can grip the GPS with your fingers while you hit the buttons with your thumb. Positon it so you can use your right hand. Garmin GPSMaps are not user friendly for left handers.

DSCN7439.JPG

I mounted my 296 in front of the panel the first time.

Some advise please?

Jeff,

I put my GPS 196/296 in front of the panel with a plywood disc to space it to clear the panel for the power and antenna connectors. I used the plastic mount from the yoke mount provided with my GPS that most people use in Cessnas, etc. This first photo shows the plywood disc location below the glare shield over the panel.
DSCK0259.JPG

Here is how it looked later on in construction.
DSCK0272.JPG

DSCK0336.JPG

DSCK0338.JPG

DSCK0362.JPG

DSCM0005.JPG

DSCM0100.JPG

Can you post a photo of your panel? It would help to know how much panel space you have remaining.

yes I can post a photo but I can assure you that their is no space left after I install the Trutrak efis. I want to install it under the throttle but I am having trouble with a design to mount it.

Back