What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick contacts instrument panel

bob888

Well Known Member
I know this has been discussed here before but I can't find the older messages. In the full forward position, the top of the control grip contacts the instrument panel and looks like about an inch or so too far forward. I am hesitant to cut or try to bend the control sticks. Any other suggestions out there?

I fixed my issue with this the last few weeks. I also didn't want to bend the stick any. I cut the bottom of the sticks where my current bolt hole was, and I slid the stick in .7" from the old location and drilled a new hole. This slid the stick aft, but was still slightly touching some switches. Next I backed out each rod end bearing (3 of them) from the back seat bellcrank and the forward attach location. I lengthened each by 1 turn. This gave me about a half inch clearance at the grips. Make sure you don't have any interference anywhere when it's over. YMMV and if you choose to go this route it will take a little thinking and such to make your situation work.

While doing tall that, I installed my seats, hooked up rudder pedals to the rudder and found that I was comfortable at about the middle range of the seat adjustment, and even if someone needed to scoot the seat all the way forward, I wanted to make sure that a full aft stick would be possible.

Are you checking this with the elevator installed?

+1 on this.

I'm using Infinity grips on both sides. I was able to get panel clearance by cutting the top of the stick as far down as I could (the bottom of the Infinity grip touches the stick weld). The grip top hat misses the bottom of the panel.

Carl

+1 on this.

I'm using Infinity grips on both sides. I was able to get panel clearance by cutting the top of the stick as far down as I could (the bottom of the Infinity grip touches the stick weld). The grip top hat misses the bottom of the panel.

Carl

What Carl said - +1

Back