What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MODE S for Candada

simatos

Well Known Member
INteresting wrinkle for Canada--Im buying an ELT from Vans and they are asking for the MODE S code for canada. My local avionics guys say 316 is the code but ther is something called the 15 digit Hexidecimal ID. IS that something that would be on the transponder?? A little confused, ideas would be appreciated, cheers G

amrchair advice

the mode S code is something like; C011DF like for your C170

in the aircraft reg papers as noted by Troy.

the 15 digit hex code is ON the ELT, and you will use it when you register it.

the Mode S code for Canada is 316, but that's not specific to your aircraft, it's just a 'country' code.

(please verify the above as fact, not internet opinion!)

Consider the fact partially verified, Perry. It's a 24 bit code rather than the 15 bits you had referenced. Other than that little detail, all's good!

The Mode S code is the "digital fingerprint" assigned to your aircraft. It used to be that Mode S transponder equipment was the only stuff we had that used this ICAO-standardized code, hence the reference to it being a Mode S code. The reality is that it truly is a unique digital identifier for your aircraft. It is part of the info that is programmed into your ELT, along with the country code of registry.

I can also confirm that if you have reserved a registration mark, the code is included in the letter you receive from Transport Canada. This letter starts out in bold type with the words:
"RE: Confirmation of Registration Marks Reservation - C-XXXX
24 bit Address / Addresse 24-bits - Bin:" followed by the 24 bit binary code, the Hex code and the Octal code, all of which are different mathematical expressions of the same identifier that makes your aircraft unique.

Last edited:
The 15 digit Hex ID needs to be programmed into the ELT by the supplier.

Part of the code will be unique to the country where it is registered, hence they need to know that.

They will then be able to programme a unique ID for your unit which will enable it to be registered with your national registry.

The 24 bit code that is mentioned is for transponder mode S identification. You do not need that to be coded into the ELT

The list of country codes is here

Last edited:
Great you guys, thanks so much, just put the request for my Registration so the info should come back with that, Cheers Gary
PS snow yet in Alberta?????
going to ED tomorrow

ELT

Gary

Would you have a link to the web site where we can get our registration??

That is something I plan on doing in the spring.

Thanks

Bruno

The 15 digit Hex ID needs to be programmed into the ELT by the supplier.

Part of the code will be unique to the country where it is registered, hence they need to know that.

They will then be able to programme a unique ID for your unit which will enable it to be registered with your national registry.

The 24 bit code that is mentioned is for transponder mode S identification. You do not need that to be coded into the ELT

The list of country codes is here

Just to clarify, in Canada you DO NEED the 24 bit ICAO code programmed into the 406MHz ELT. The US uses a binary code which is derived from the N-number. In this regard Canadian and US requirements are considerably different. In this case the person asking the question is doing so from the Canadian perspective. From this perspective the 24-bit ICAO (or Mode S - they are one and the same) code IS required to be programmed into the ELT.

Just to clarify, in Canada you DO NEED the 24 bit ICAO code programmed into the 406MHz ELT. The US uses a binary code which is derived from the N-number. In this regard Canadian and US requirements are considerably different. In this case the person asking the question is doing so from the Canadian perspective. From this perspective the 24-bit ICAO (or Mode S - they are one and the same) code IS required to be programmed into the ELT.

Just to add to that. The 24-bit code is entered by the installer (or airplane builder in this case) and not Van's. See 10.4 here (https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/managementservices-referencecentre-acs-700-700-004-497.htm#s10-0)

Cheers,

"Just to add to that. The 24-bit code is entered by the installer (or airplane builder in this case) and not Van's. See 10.4 here (https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...-497.htm#s10-0)"

Another point of clarification. The original post here was about 406MHz ELT programming. This programming, including the 24 bit ICAO code, is done by an Approved Maintenance Organization or a maintenance organization holding similar foreign (e.g. FAA) approval. Fleet operators will use a programming dongle to accomplish this task so as to ensure the ICAO code programmed into the ELT matches the airplane in which the ELT is installed. (On a side note, there has been one well documented 406MHz ELT failure resulting from an aircraft being dispatched with the programming dongle still in place, inhibiting the ELT's transmission. A terrible mistake on the part of the aircraft maintainers.)

When it comes to Mode S transponders, the guidance provided in the referenced Advisory Circular is absolutely spot-on. Some transponders require the ICAO code to be entered through front-panel controls, while some require the address to be hard-wired via discrete wires in the connector. Either way, the ICAO code goes with the airplane, so if you happen to have just installed a Mode S transponder, or if you've just received one back from the repair shop, double-check to ensure you've got the right 24-bit ICAO code programmed.

D'oh! Thanks for clarifying. I had it in my head we were talking about transponders. ... haven't had coffee yet.... :eek:

Cheers,

D'oh! Thanks for clarifying. I had it in my head we were talking about transponders. ... haven't had coffee yet.... :eek:

Cheers,

Hey no worries, Shamit. We've grown from building NORDO airplanes to building airplanes with capabilities that rival modern airliners. I think most of us have experienced confusion at least a few times in our build as we try to figure out which wire goes where, and why! Coffee sometimes helps. Sometimes walking away and not thinking about it for a day helps. Whatever works. Build on! :D

Back