What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where can I get alum angle in LA/TX area

nbachert

Well Known Member
I need an 11 foot piece and shipping is ridiculous. Anybody know of a local place I could drive to? Thanks

Nick

Nick, you should be able to find a local metal distributor locally that carries what you need via google. I buggered up a longeron on my RV-10 during the build and found several local sources within 40 miles of my home. Then I price shopped for best price.

Not sure how far away you are from the Houston area, but when I created deep scratches and dings on my longerons (the padding was not properly seated), I also started looking for local providers.

I searched and found a local Metal Supermarket that delivered 6061T6 0.75x0.75x0.125 to my door. They had all dimensions I could think of.

I paid about $40 for 2x175 in. Delivery charge was charged by the mile (30 mi one way) at approx. $45.

So $85 altogether for the two 175 in angles.

Aren't the longerons usually 2024T3 ?

Yes. Its not exclusive for aircraft and is a common material used in many applications. Any buyer should verify they are purchasing the correct material but its a commonly stocked item at most suppliers.

Longerons

According to the inventory, longerons are AA6-125X3/4X3/4
AA6 is T6
So if I read correctly they should be 6061-T6.

Sampson Steel in Beaumont may have what you are looking for.
210 4th street, 800-627-1999.
I 10 is flooded right now so you will have to look for an alternate route or wait until at least Tuesday from what I hear.
190 to 96 south maybe.
We are still covered here in Orange from the Sabine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. It is 6061, I'll give those guys a call tomorrow and do a little more research and see if I can find a replacement.

Have a piece in my Garage.

I ordered a quick build fuselage when I built my RV and was sent duplicate angle. I don't know if I could ship it any cheaper, but let me know and I'll check in to it.

11 ft is not the longeron (which is above 14 ft).
Just curious if you need it for smaller part why not get them to rough cut it down to shorter lengths items and save shipping that way.

Well apparently you haven't built a -10. A -10 has six of them three on each side, one of which is about 10 feet long.

Back