VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Good advice and is right in line with what I was thinking. I never had to do a go around in all the years of Husky flying but my 7 humbled me fast. Going to take my time getting used to it and keep some weight in the back seat.The 3rd bounce is usually the worst!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Yep. In a Rocket, the third bounce takes out the prop. Easy to land, but early in the game you NEVER try to "save" a botched one.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Keep it simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Good advice and is right in line with what I was thinking. I never had to do a go around in all the years of Husky flying but my 7 humbled me fast. Going to take my time getting used to it and keep some weight in the back seat.The 3rd bounce is usually the worst!
Robb,
I flew my HR2 for 6 years and nearly 1000 hours. Landings were primarily on my home turf strip or pavement when away from home. My home strip was short (1700') and rough.
Over many hours I found my HR2 had two best landing techniques, wheels landing on pavement (flown on, on speed 70 KIAS) or three point on turf (65KIAS power on to touchdown).

With practice you can consistently make acceptable, safe wheels landings which provide better forward visibility, better rudder effectiveness (especially an RV4 empennage on an HR2) and more precise control on narrow or wet runways or at night when your landing light is optimized in level flight. Once mastered you can roll it on pavement with almost no gear flexing and hold the tail up almost down to walking speed with a bit of wind...On turf you can land 3 point and safely stop in under 1000'.

Congrats, you'll learn to love the Rocket.

V/R
Smokey

PS: It's the closest airplane to the F16C that I could afford!

Last edited by smokyray : 07-18-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post

Congrats, you'll learn to love the Rocket.

V/R
Smokey
LOL. It was love at first sight for me. Later confirmed as soon as I flew mine the first time
F1 Rocket #25
N14ZM "Dreamer"
Melboring, FL
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Any of you guys have a copy of a POH I can get for a rough reference?
I have a POH that might be of some use. Let me know if you want it and Iíll find a way to send it (currently on my boat in Desolation Sound).

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction