What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which VSWR Meter?

Raymo

Well Known Member
I want something to help troubleshoot poor radio transmission issues and found one thread that recommended the MFJ-812B but it is not designed for the VHF frequency range in our radios (108-136MHz).

I'm looking at the MFJ-874 and it is designed for HF/VHF/UHF but quite a bit more expensive than the one Gil recommended.

Any other recommendations from the fleet?

MFJ-844, or one of the many similar and less expensive models... like this one. If it's designed for VHF, it will probably be fine at airband frequencies. If you want to get really fancy, the MFJ-259 can tell you whatever you want to know about your antenna and coax.

MJF-259

I have used the MJF-259. It is more expensive but will do just about everything I want in both aviation and amateur radio.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dale. I see the 844 specified frequency ranges 140-150, 430-450MHz

Will this also work in the 108-136 range? The 259 is very nice but more than I'd like to spend at the moment (~$100).

I use a Workman Model 104 with a couple of BNC male to PL259 adapters. Cheap and works great.

If you're not experienced with coax connectors, or don't want to buy the tools to make nice "low-loss" connectors on RG-400, Aircraft Spruce will sell you custom made coax for your radios. Definitely worth the price!

Thanks, Dale. I see the 844 specified frequency ranges 140-150, 430-450MHz

Will this also work in the 108-136 range? The 259 is very nice but more than I'd like to spend at the moment (~$100).

I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't.

Good old thread

Amazing a link in one of my threads from 10 years ago to a product that still exists and is still $39. :)

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-812B

The unit I linked to is marketed for the 144 and 22 MHz bands, but the data sheet says it will work down to 21 MHz with reduced sensitivity.

It will have no problem at our aircraft frequencies that are around 120 MHz.

It also appears the front panel marking has changed a bit and is now labelled 114-220 MHz, definitely suitable for aircraft antennae.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I plan to try a few of these low cost units until I can splurge for a Rig Expert Antenna Analyzer, which are pricey but fantastic units.

I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't.

This meter is fine; the bands quoted are the standard HAM bands (2m and 70cm). Any meter that works for 2m ham (144MHz +/-) will also work for airband.

az_gila's recommendation looks particularly good.

de KO6CD. 73.

Last edited:
You can borrow my bird. Send address

I'm thinking this is the "bird" he's talking about. If so, it was the industry standard and the one I used for years on the job. And, I'm guessing he also has the tuned element for air band.

122TE043_7.jpg

I'm thinking this is the "bird" he's talking about. If so, it was the industry standard and the one I used for years on the job. And, I'm guessing he also has the tuned element for air band.

122TE043_7.jpg
Yes, that's it. But mine has a bit more...patina...:D
Sorry for the terse posting. That's my iPhone typing style and assuming everyone knows what a "Bird" is!
BTW, use of the Bird involves math :eek: (or the handy table I printed...)
Element (25W?), connector adapters, and dummy load included. Haven't used it in years, but it's around here somewhere.

Yes, that's it. But mine has a bit more...patina...:D
Sorry for the terse posting. That's my iPhone typing style and assuming everyone knows what a "Bird" is!
BTW, use of the Bird involves math :eek: (or the handy table I printed...)
Element (25W?), connector adapters, and dummy load included. Haven't used it in years, but it's around here somewhere.

Bird's are great, but likely overkill for aircraft work. Just need to see that SWR < 2 or so .. but if you have one (or can borrow one) do it!

And, we all know what a B1RD is .... ;-)

Back