What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New step and Vans beefed them up!!!

TJCF16

Well Known Member
I just received my new pilot side step from Vans today and they have beefed them up!!! About time!! I would attach pic, but it is such a pain in the *** to do it and I can't figure out Flicker!

I wonder if Van's will sell the reinforcement part of it, I know the vendor wouldn't and I have not had time to call Van's directly.

I am more than capable of welding the part, but wouldn't mind saving time not making my own reinforcement if possible.

Russ' work was fantastic. I took my right side -- why is it always the right side? -- step off, removed the paint and sent it to him. I had it back a week later. Couldn't be more pleased with it.

So far, no reason to send the left side out.

Just the piece ??

Like Jeff in #6, months ago I called Russ and asked if we could buy just the reinforcement piece and have it welded on to the installed step. He advised no but to contact Vans and they might sell it. I also have yet to call. Jeff if u get the answer first, please post here.

Keith

Received parts

Vans sold me the reinforcement parts. Part # is WD-657Z L/R.
They are fairly simple. I will be looking for a picture of a new, reinforced step to determine how hey should be welded on. Cost was about $9 for both shipped.

Vans sold me the reinforcement parts. Part # is WD-657Z L/R.
They are fairly simple. I will be looking for a picture of a new, reinforced step to determine how hey should be welded on. Cost was about $9 for both shipped.

Thanks for the tip. I found my passenger side cracked at 120 hours :mad: and this will be a winter project. I think I will try welding on the reinforcment myself. Does anyone know if MIG or stick welding this would be adequate? I do not have a TIG welder.

Larry

Picture reference

Thanx for the reference to post #20 in the earlier thread. I will see if my welder can do a good job. Will post after pictures.

Keith

Thanks for the tip. I found my passenger side cracked at 120 hours :mad: and this will be a winter project. I think I will try welding on the reinforcment myself. Does anyone know if MIG or stick welding this would be adequate? I do not have a TIG welder.

Larry

As someone that does a lot of welding, I surely would put Tig first, mig possibly but not desirable. Stick I wouldn't get near it.

Anybody in Louisville Ky area that might want it done locally let me know, if your on here and paid donator list is free.

Anyone have any data on Allen's theory of prop wash on the passenger side and added sand or lead shot fill in the step to reduce the harmonics? I remember him doing a test?

Is this one of those "must do's"? My plane is not flying but my steps are installed. Any idea on the percentage of planes that are seeing the problem? Are most people just waiting to see if they start having a problem and then addressing it?

I don't mind making the modification if necessary but I would like to keep progressing on the build and not take a step back if possible.

i'm amazed that some can tackle building an airplane in their garage but can't post pictures on a forum :D

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

Hmmm, I wonder where these are headed?
IMG_3775.JPG

Back