What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Tool, what to make for the RV

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I picked up a new toy recently and have been having all sorts of fun;

huo9ax.jpg

The only parts I can think of for the RV are some 3/4" duct flanges for the mag and alternator cooling ducts. I also plan to make some new spacers for my alternator bracket to replace the cut-tube spacers I made already.

Flange duct:
208y1rc.jpg

I replaced the old and tired motor with a new one. The new motor has a larger shaft, plus the old pulley was hacked apart many times over the years. So, I made a new pulley:
2lazeh4.jpg

24pxoi9.jpg

And why not a new handle for the belt tension release:
34exkkk.jpg

Very nice. I have to admit to a little twinge of jealousy. I keep trying to figure out where I'd put a lathe if I had one. If I figure that out, it's at the top of my list.

Very nice. I have to admit to a little twinge of jealousy. I keep trying to figure out where I'd put a lathe if I had one. If I figure that out, it's at the top of my list.

I have wanted a lathe for a very long time. I don't have room for it really, but cost was the major driver. I had been looking at the harbor frieght mini-lathe for around $500 but wasn't sure if I could do all I want with such a small lathe (the pulley for example).

The deal on this lathe just fell in my lap one day when I brough the topic up at work and a guy I know had just picked up a mill-lathe combo and needed to make space. He sold this to me for only $200 which is an unbeatable price. I did replace the motor, add the quick-change tool post, and repaint it. so, I probably have $400 into it right now. I do want to replace the chuck since this one is pretty worn, but those aren't all that expensive.

By the way, if you do get one, plan on it adding a month or so to your build since that is how much time you will spend playing with it before you get back to working on the plane.

New tool

Useful tool.
I made these recently.
Holes are all 3/16" for either dies or shop heads. They work great for backing up parts when driving rivets out. One end is smooth for bucking.
vpg7ww.jpg

Those are handy tools. Not a project for the lathe, but still very useful.

Useful tool.
I made these recently.
Holes are all 3/16" for either dies or shop heads. They work great for backing up parts when driving rivets out. One end is smooth for bucking.
vpg7ww.jpg

Hi Colin, start looking for a tool post milling adapter. Once you have that you'll be in tall Cotten.

I put a permanent search on eBay and one finally showed up.

Good luck, Terry

David C - I have always said that there are only a few lathes out there and you just get to keep it in your shop for a small portion of its life. I was talking about wood lathes, but maybe it is the same for metal ones.

Wings on Wheels - what great looking parts you are making. Nice work.

Hi Colin, start looking for a tool post milling adapter. Once you have that you'll be in tall Cotten.

I put a permanent search on eBay and one finally showed up.

Good luck, Terry

That is one of the first things I went looking for. I found a few a e-bay, but so far they want an arm and a leg. The milling attachment and quick-change gearbox are still high on my list though.

David C - I have always said that there are only a few lathes out there and you just get to keep it in your shop for a small portion of its life. I was talking about wood lathes, but maybe it is the same for metal ones.

Wings on Wheels - what great looking parts you are making. Nice work.

I think you are right. This unit is from somewhere around the early 50's. I know it spent a good portion of it's life in an aircraft maintenance shop. Most of the harware looks like leftover AN stuff probably from a variety of aircraft.

The great thing about these old lathes is that they were made to last. The only plastic on this thing is the insulation on the wires. I don't think good tools ever die, they just relocate...haha

Looks like that brick BBQ project is going to languish a few more years . . .:D

Some folks just don't get how satisfying it is to spend twenty minutes making a 5 cent washer. Enjoy!

Nice use, is that an old Logan? I have one a bit older (850) and the belt cover looks different. I made some new positioners for my AFM8 on mine (among the many other things).

A lathe does come in handy, and yes the TIG welder too. I love tools.

If you are looking for ideas of what to make. I recently ditched the wood ball Van's uses for the rear throttle in the RV8 and replaced it with fab'd up aluminum. You could certainly do a better job of it with your new toy than I did with hand tools. Just a thought.

Nice use, is that an old Logan? I have one a bit older (850) and the belt cover looks different. I made some new positioners for my AFM8 on mine (among the many other things).

A lathe does come in handy, and yes the TIG welder too. I love tools.

This one is an old Atlas. And a TIG is very high on my want list!!!!

Looks like that brick BBQ project is going to languish a few more years . . .:D

Some folks just don't get how satisfying it is to spend twenty minutes making a 5 cent washer. Enjoy!

Those brick are left over from when the house was built. Yes, I was planning to make an outdoor kitchen setup with them.....someday...haha

firewall flanges

you should make some firewall flanges. everything out there is so pricey.

ok, the pulley is beautiful, but how did you cut the keyway? I know nothing about how to do any of this stuff, but I am very interested.

ok, the pulley is beautiful, but how did you cut the keyway? I know nothing about how to do any of this stuff, but I am very interested.

The keyway is a bit of a challange. I used a cutting tool as a broach. With the tool held on the tool post and the pulley not spinning you drive the cutting tool down the side of the shaft bore removing a little material at a time. It works well on narrow pulleys. This one is almost 2" thick with the hub. It was a PITA due to tool flex at that depth. The keyway took as long to make as the rest of the pulley. It would have been easier if I had the proper tools, but I didn't have much to fit the 5/8 bore.

you should make some firewall flanges. everything out there is so pricey.

I did make my own firewall flanges, but out of welded leftover 4130. Aluminum isn't a good material for that and starting with a solid hunk of steel would be very time consuming, a part beter suited for welding.

FP24112013A0003G.jpg

Back