What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James Plenum Instructions?

Gary's RV7A

Does any one have a pdf of the instruction for the SJ Plenum? I can't find my instruction after 3 years, I know, I need a better filing system. Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary: I'm just working on my plenum now and I can scan and email the written instructions from work tomorrow if you'd like. You'll have to PM me your email address.

Can't send the paper templates for the baffles as I have cut them apart.

The instructions are pretty minimal and the one dimension that I really needed was not there, which was the vertical height of the plenum above the engine. I called Sam this past Saturday to get it.

If you look at the valve covers on each cylinder, the top screw that holds the cover on. This screw goes into a boss on the top of the cylinder. The bottom surface (not the flange) of the plenum needs to be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above this point. I installed mine 3/4" above the boss and it worked out pretty well. The forward tubes lined up nicely with the round holes in the cowl.

Hope this helps, Terry.

Plenum tip ....

If the plenum is mounted too low on a FI engine, it may abrate against the injector lines where they loop up to connect to the nozzles. I lucked out on mine and ended up with a 1/4" to 1/2" gap there .... but only well after I had made all the final cuts and had no option of going back. Never thought about that issue during the baffle and plenum trimming/fab'bing/cutting phase.
"Given a choice, I'd rather be lucky than good." (source unknown) ;)

paper templates?

Terry, I left you a PM. Any documentation would be better than none.

Rupester: I do have a fuel injected engine, thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have the paper templates that Terry was talking about? Or maybe pictures on how the baffles should look? I did find 2 posting on this site, no description on how they go together tho.

Thanks again!

I have an IO 360 M1B. The plenum cover fit reasonably well. Two areas needed reconstruction - the pilot side rear was short and the right (co-pilot) side needed to be cut back. The height was set after I had the top cowl mounted as there is a limited mount of space between the top of the engine and the cowl. However, fear not, there was easily enough space to finish the whole job. I used a high temperature fiberglass epoxy as the area gets "warm" after shutdown and the West system does not like sitting at high temperatures. The high temp epoxy was easy to work with.
Let me know if you want pictures and give me an email in a PM.

Sam James instructions

Hi Gary: I never received the PM, try again or send a note to my work email account and I'll have your email.

terry.mortimore all lower case then add the "at" sign then essar.com

Terry.

Back