What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

finishing kit

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I am planning on ordering the finishing kit for my 14A next week and was wondering if there are any items that people left out or planned to exchange with other parts. I know about the following item but was wondering if anything else that I may not know of.
Things that I am aware of:
- Plastic Air vents (I am planning for the aluminum vent)
- Sticks ( I am thinking of the prewired sticks that VANs sells)
- Seat backs (won?t need them)
- Canopy options (Plain, Tinted, UV protected)
- Wheels ( I can?t Offord Beringer unless they go on sell again)
- Lights (I am going to go with other options)
- Static ports (won't need them)

- Do you know if steps are part of the kit or do they need to be ordered separately.
- Are standard breaks setup for dual or single
- Do I need a bracket for 5-point seat belts
- Parking break????

Are they any other thing that I might not be aware of?

The standard canopy supplied in finish kits for all the different RV models is tinted at the darkest value legal for night flight. Darker tint is available as an option as well as additional UV protection.

There is an "SC-15" option for both the canopy and the rear window for the 14. It is supposed to be the same tint but allows much lower UV. It's about $300 more than standard canopy/window.

Also, the steps are not standard on the -14... but they are standard on the -14A

Thanks for all info. Looks like there isn't much other things to leave out. The only other thing that I was contemplating is the prefabbed panel as I may go with a different panel but not sure what the cost saving would be in leaving it out and also whether I can fit things properly without it till the panel that I am going to have cut arrive.

Finishing kit

I am also getting ready to order finishing kit so this a timely thread. I also did not know there were canopy options. Is there somewhere on the website I should have seen this? What other options are available that I don?t know about? I have reviewed the pick list for the kit and cannot find that it includes seats. Maybe I just missed it? Does anyone know if Vans has made a throttle quadrant available yet? Sorry for all the questions and I guess I could just call Vans but y?all are way nicer.
Cheers
Greg Beckner
140366 emp and wings 95% finished, fuse 75% finished

Different canopys are a special order option. They are not in stock.
Choosing a different canopy will likely extend the delivery time of a finish kit.

Will NOT likely delay delivery of finish kit IF everything is ordered at the same time. If you change your canopy to a special order afterwards, it will take about 8 weeks from time of the change order. Ask me how I know.

Correct... the OP said for his "14A"

I was highlighting this fact for anyone else (like me) who didn't realize that the steps weren't included with the 14. I added some nut plates to the step cover plates in case I wanted to use steps. I'm not sure how high of a step it is to get up on the wing of a straight 14.

Does anyone know if the intersection fairings are included in the kit? I don't even see them listed on VANs for the 14A.

If you mean gear leg.... yes they are included
Thank you Scott, yes that is what I had meant and hopefully the upper and lowers one. They are making things simpler by including much of these. I had to build my last set and it was time consuming.

I am also getting ready to order finishing kit so this a timely thread. I also did not know there were canopy options. Is there somewhere on the website I should have seen this? What other options are available that I don?t know about? I have reviewed the pick list for the kit and cannot find that it includes seats. Maybe I just missed it? Does anyone know if Vans has made a throttle quadrant available yet? Sorry for all the questions and I guess I could just call Vans but y?all are way nicer.
Cheers
Greg Beckner
140366 emp and wings 95% finished, fuse 75% finished

I contacted Van's regarding a darker than standard tinted canopy and rear window for the -14 finishing kit. They referred me to Airplane Plastics in Dayton, OH. who produce their canopies. They will send and/or email samples of the various tints available. Ask for Becky. Great people.

Tailndragger step

Quite high but doable.
I think anyone not obsessed with the loss of 1 kt or so would probably appreciate them.

I?m building the 14, and while at Oshkosh this year I both sat in and studied Van?s 14. I?m tall and the step up to the wingwalk is big. Doable for me, but a problem for almost anyone I will take flying. I was surprised at the cost, but ordered and installed them. Perfect fit. All it takes is one person stepping where you don?t want them to... and then regret not having the step.

If you order them, order the hardware, too. Big as the price is, they come naked.

Back