What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importing a RV

Bighorn

Over the last several years I have seen some nice RV's for sale in Canda. Is it hard or harder to get that airplane bought and registered in the US?

Thanks

The main thing that you need to be aware of is that to certificate the aircraft in the U.S., you must be able to prove that it is 51% amateur-built.
Just as you would if the aircraft was built in the U.S.

Here's the issue:

Transport Canada (through the MDRA) has no legal requirement to keep a builder's construction log, therefore there may not be one.

We do, however, have mandatory inspections during the build and the paperwork for these may suffice. Someone with more experience in this should comment.

Vern

I would be surprised to find that there is an RV for sale in Canada, for which an equivalent couldn't be found in the US for less money. The market up here is so small, that prices have been driven to silly heights. Of course, there are lots of reasons one would chose a particular aircraft, and if the one you want is up here, that's where you have to move it from.

Many RV's have been imported to the US from Canada, hopefully there's someone here who has done it before who can provide first-hand guidance.

buying Canadian

I live in Florida and was able to purchase an RV-6 from a gentleman living in Spruce Creek, FL. He was Canadian. The plane was built in Canada and registered Canadian.

The price was good so I had an inspection done. The seller replaced a cylinder based on the inspection. We came to terms on price but then it was a long process of finalizing the sale.

I financed the sale and the finance company was helpful in making sure I completed all the necessary paperwork. They also held money in escrow. AOPA had some valuable information on their website. The seller was also helpful and motivated since he did not get his money until the sale was complete.

The CAA is an interesting organization. My understanding is that there was one lady handling experimental aircraft and she went on an extensive vacation in the middle of the process.

If the price is right and you are not in a hurry. It is worth it. I would guess it took two to three months to complete the sale.

I did not get my airworthiness certificate until I completed some repairs/upgrades(new tires/tubes, brakes, placarding to match US regs, N number).
the purchase of the airplane included extensive logbooks and documentation that eased the inspection. That added another few months. I also did my transition training at the same time.

I agree that buying US would be easier and quicker.

we're just getting started....

well, this is all very interesting!

I am still hoping that someone will outline the 10 things you have to do ( or is it 34?) to go thru the export Process.

Tom's comments are valid for his scenario, where there were many steps, in part due to their specific sale agreement. He mentions the finance company acting as escrow service, which is nice.

Perhaps there's an aircraft broker that will chip in here? ....do they offer this service for a commission, or fixed fee?

Transport Canada has basically a one-page outline of the steps here.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/Publications/en/tp13275/pdf/hr/tp13275e.pdf

within it, it refers to the Civil Aviation offices, so we call it the MoT, the DoT, you might refer to the CAA, I'll bet there are more acronyms per square meter than anywhere else..... in Ottawa!!!!

Try Jeff

I'm pretty sure RV-8 builder Jeff Mitchell imported his build into the US. He completed most of the build in Nova Scotia then moved it to Arizona, where he keeps it now.

His build log is here:

http://www.mykitlog.com/jmitchell

He may or may not be able to provide some info.

Don

I imported my RV-9A in March of this year and it was quite simple. As the DAR said in above post you need to be able to prove that over 50% was built by the individual. I had the inspection sheets from Air Transpirt Canada. Pictures etc help too.
I highly recommend that if you want to import a RV have the owner send you copies of pictures, inspections and any self kept logs. Take these to your local DAR have them look it over and see if it meets the 51% rule. If he says it does then go get it and bring it home.

Also here is the steps I went through.
1. Have the owner fly it with you in to USA under Canadian tail numbers.
2. Do not tell customs you are importing! They have no idea how to handle it and they will take a few days to figure it out. Tell them you are going to Sun and Fun or something
3. Use a escrow company I used one recommended by AOPA
4. Fill out Bill of sale and apply for your registration when you land.
5. Have the owner deregister the airplane in Canada( overnight the documents). This should not take long.
6. Schedule DAR to inspect and give airworthiness certificate.
7. You must wait till the aircraft has been deregisterd in Canada before the FAA will register it.

The escrow company is well worth the money because they do a lot of the FAA paper work for you and fast.

If you have any further questions please pm me. Contrary to others opinion I feel I got a great plane at a great price. I just had to do what everyone else was afraid to do!

Tim Crouch
Greenville SC

Tim
I also would agree with you. I am more interested who did the build, records, documentation etc than where I find one.

I imported my RV-9A in March of this year and it was quite simple. As the DAR said in above post you need to be able to prove that over 50% was built by the individual. I had the inspection sheets from Air Transpirt Canada. Pictures etc help too.
I highly recommend that if you want to import a RV have the owner send you copies of pictures, inspections and any self kept logs. Take these to your local DAR have them look it over and see if it meets the 51% rule. If he says it does then go get it and bring it home.

Also here is the steps I went through.
1. Have the owner fly it with you in to USA under Canadian tail numbers.
2. Do not tell customs you are importing! They have no idea how to handle it and they will take a few days to figure it out. Tell them you are going to Sun and Fun or something
3. Use a escrow company I used one recommended by AOPA
4. Fill out Bill of sale and apply for your registration when you land.
5. Have the owner deregister the airplane in Canada( overnight the documents). This should not take long.
6. Schedule DAR to inspect and give airworthiness certificate.
7. You must wait till the aircraft has been deregisterd in Canada before the FAA will register it.

The escrow company is well worth the money because they do a lot of the FAA paper work for you and fast.

If you have any further questions please pm me. Contrary to others opinion I feel I got a great plane at a great price. I just had to do what everyone else was afraid to do!

Tim Crouch
Greenville SC

I imported my -10 5 years ago. It was relatively easy but it was previously registered in and built in the US, I had all the logs. I agree, do not tell customs you are importing it, it delayed the flight into the US by several days and had to get a broker involved. I had the planes mechanic fly it after I put him on my insurance.

Also, use the bill of sale on the FAA website. I had a different form with all the same info notarized and it was rejected by the FAA! I had to get a new bill of sale which delayed the registration in the US by several weeks.

Took about a month to get everything done.

TJ

Back