What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre heaters

Propane

No electricity on the field. Propane preheater loaned by an RV9A builder :)

propane%20heater%20-%201.jpg

Got an E-Z Heater from Aircraft Spruce.

ezHeat.gif

A less expensive route would be to use a [URL="https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=heater%20pad&isProduct=true&isInterchange=true&referer=search_form-allprod"]NAPA heater like Randy Lervold did on his RV-3[/URL]. Website says he used a 50W version. I would pick a 150W version like my E-Z heater that warms up my Lycoming engine in Pennsylvania with 2-hours of operation before flight.

SumpHeater.jpg

Amazon even has a pad heater. The E-Z heat has a three prong plug and the images of the others do not. Not sure if it is worth an extra $100 US for the three prong plug.

61yU0d8ZB2L._SL1500_.jpg

Do not forget the SwitchBox Control so that you can turn it on remotely from the warmth of your home.

PHL_4370SwitchBox110912PA.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on EZ Heat and Switch Box ... on our o360 you get max temp in just three hours.

Got an E-Z Heater from Aircraft Spruce.

ezHeat.gif

A less expensive route would be to use a [URL="https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search/?text=heater%20pad&isProduct=true&isInterchange=true&referer=search_form-allprod"]NAPA heater like Randy Lervold did on his RV-3[/URL]. Website says he used a 50W version. I would pick a 150W version like my E-Z heater that warms up my Lycoming engine in Pennsylvania with 2-hours of operation before flight.

SumpHeater.jpg

Amazon even has a pad heater. The E-Z heat has a three prong plug and the images of the others do not. Not sure if it is worth an extra $100 US for the three prong plug.

61yU0d8ZB2L._SL1500_.jpg

Do not forget the SwitchBox Control so that you can turn it on remotely from the warmth of your home.

PHL_4370SwitchBox110912PA.jpg

Engine block heater off amazon and there is a unit similar to switchbox on amazon for under $50 that does exact same thing as switchbox for a lot less money. Has three individually controlled outlets and uses i believe a tmobile sim card, cost like $3 a month for prepaid sim.

Milk stool heater from Home and Aviation Depot. Dryer duct kit to port the air properly,
I set it up running when I leave the hangar if I think there is a chance I will fly in the next few days.

heater.jpg

Serves double duty as a small area heater when I don't feel like breaking out the 300,000 Btu propane torpedo heater.

Last edited:
Hair dryers

I use hair dryers donated by lady friends. One in each nostril and sealed with drywall sponge. Heats entire engine from 30 to 75 degrees in 40 minutes.

I use hair dryers donated by lady friends. One in each nostril and sealed with drywall sponge. Heats entire engine from 30 to 75 degrees in 40 minutes.

I've been using a hair dryer as well and with a 4' section of scat tubing attached to it. Works well and super cheap.

Be careful with the red pads. Be sure you are heating oil and not just the intake sump. Also, some have built-in thermal limiters, some don't. Not saying not to use them, just know what you are getting and manage appropriately.

The Reiff system has metal wrapped pads, and thermal limiters for the sump. I got the Turbo with two pads for the sump and wraps for the cylinder bases. Pistons like to be cozy too. Bob has good test data on his website.

One or two 75W light bulbs in cages plus blanket over cowl works great. Heats up entire engine in a couple hours.

I've been using a hair dryer as well and with a 4' section of scat tubing attached to it. Works well and super cheap.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I add the blow dryer with the scat tube when I really need to get it warm fast. The only downside is that I will not leave the hangar with the hair dryer going. I do feel comfortable having the light bulbs on while I'm away, though, so one or the other of these systems generally works great for me.

Back