What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle cable how flexible are they

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I've got to the point of ordering a throttle cable for my project. I have a 6A with a O-320 equipped with a Superior cold air sump with it's forward facing intake.

I haven't drilled the hole in the firewall yet, but the best I can measure says I need a 48.5 inch cable.

I see Vans have a 50.5 inch cable and I'm wondering if the cables are flexible enough to allow some S turns to take up the extra length?

Are there other options? Custom made length?

I'm not a fan of the fittings that clamp on the inner wire, I prefer the threaded end type.

Thanks for your input, Terry

They are quite flexible, you shouldn't have any trouble at all taking up the extra two inches. In fact I have one (friction-lock style) that I'm not using, Vans standard 50.5" cable, that I installed and removed to replace it with a vernier.

You can also order custom-length cables through ACS, but they are about a 4 week turnaround to get them.

What Greg said. I've got a very pronounced S-bend, as the cables on my -9A penetrate through the top of the firewall recess. I didn't want anything hanging down to snag on my size 13 shoes. :) Of course, you always want something of a bend, some slack to account for engine waggle during startup/shutdown.

Even so, the cables work smooth as silk.

Back