What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X mounting Location

Oleary83

Hello,
I have read a number of posts concerning the VP-X. But I have been unable to find an answer to one question. In an RV-8, where do people mount the VP-X?

I put mine in the drop down section of forward baggage. Along with battery backup for G3x. No regrets.

Do NOT bury it where you have no access. You will regret it.

I put it too in the drop down section of forward baggage , it has to be accessible.
I covered the top with a sheet of aluminium, easily removable.

In my RV-8A, the VP-X is mounted on an avionics shelf that spans the width of the cockpit behind the panel. It can be accessed from either the front of the panel (by removing the right EFIS,) or from behind the panel through an access panel in the front baggage compartment. All of my avionics are mounted behind the panel, excepting the GPS20A, and there's plenty of room for additional radios or a GNS if I require one in the future.

Last edited:
I put mine in the drop down section of forward baggage. Along with battery backup for G3x. No regrets.

Used the same location and extended the floor of the baggage compartment to cover it so nothing can fall on it. Has worked great so far. Only problem is that I now want to add a smoke system and that space would have been nice to use for that... .

Oliver

Access to VP-X

While I've only been flying for a few months, as far as access to the VP-X, I haven't had a need to remove it, but...like Skyking902001 said, plan to give yourself some "knuckle-room" to insert, and remove (by squeezing..not just yanking) the ethernet cord.

After looking at my builder's entry I linked to you, I'm pretty sure I slid mine to the right a wee bit...but, like I said...leave some room to twist on the plug bolts and swap out ethernet plugs.

Good luck!

Back