What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel Gear Pieces - Rust Protection?

Hello Everyone,
I'm getting ready to start the main gear installation on my RV-8 QB and I'm curious about all the steel parts (U-801 through U-806). In my kit, they were powder coated except for the surfaces that will mate together. It's clear these surfaces were deliberately masked off, and I'm wondering if I'm expected to prime them myself. Leaving them bare seems like asking for trouble later on, but I didn't see this mentioned specifically in the manual or here in the forums.

Thanks,
-Ross Miller

Paste

Any corrosion preventative paste will do. I use Mastinox but I'm sure there are others. Send me pm and I'll send you a "sample".

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
I'm getting ready to start the main gear installation on my RV-8 QB and I'm curious about all the steel parts (U-801 through U-806). In my kit, they were powder coated except for the surfaces that will mate together. It's clear these surfaces were deliberately masked off, and I'm wondering if I'm expected to prime them myself. Leaving them bare seems like asking for trouble later on, but I didn't see this mentioned specifically in the manual or here in the forums.

Thanks,
-Ross Miller

I used heavy grease on all exposed metal surfaces (for both stock and Grove gear) to protect against corrosion and wear.

Skylor
RV-8

Back