What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glass install do's n do not's

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
Starting to install new avionics panel, would like to hear from those who have undergone this process to reduce mistakes and to hear the "If I had to do it over again I would have??" scenario

G3X touch
GMC 307 controller
G5 W/battery Backup
GMA 24R audio
GTR 200 comm
GTN 750 GPS
GTX 45R Transponder
Gi 260 AOA with heated pitot
Dimmer pots
Panel mount compass
Panel mount clock with dual USB

1. Remove fuse blocks behind panel and replacing with accessible breakers to provide room to mount remote items?

Any suggestion would be helpful

Couple things I have found to be problem areas;

1. Service loop in the wiring needs to be adequate so you can remove stuff easily.

2. Front mounted things like indicator lights or switches are often set up for solder connections, I add a plug in connector so the item can be removed in the future without having to cut wires.

Think about future serviceability and upgrades----plan for them.

Couple things I have found to be problem areas;

1. Service loop in the wiring needs to be adequate so you can remove stuff easily.

2. Front mounted things like indicator lights or switches are often set up for solder connections, I add a plug in connector so the item can be removed in the future without having to cut wires.

Think about future serviceability and upgrades----plan for them.

Thank you Mike:D

Does anyone have pireps on Sarasoda Avionics ?
The reason I ask is they are pre wiring my panel and asking for lots measurements like they ZERO experience with the RV8 yet charge as much as the RV Master "Stein"

Does anyone have pireps on Sarasoda Avionics ?
The reason I ask is they are pre wiring my panel and asking for lots measurements like they ZERO experience with the RV8 yet charge as much as the RV Master "Stein"

Then why not just go with Stein?

Be sure to get a wiring diagram of all the interconnects and setup values that the shop uses. Even if they charge "extra", it will save $$ in the future.

Some thoughts:
- As you are planning on a full EFIS screen, there is little advantage of installing the GTN-750 over the GTN-650. Save yourself some panel space and a pile of cash.
- There is nothing really complicated in what you want to do, so recommend making your own panel. You will need to order your GTN-650 with a wire harness so make sure you tell then everything you want in the wire harness - like having a lead on every serial connection. You may need them down the road.
- Wire the panel such that all interconnections between the boxes are done solely on the panel. Any external connection gets a Molex plug (for power) or standard D connectors for everything else. This way the panel comes out in just a few minutes. You will never need to be on your back under the panel.
- Little need for a wet compass or panel mounted clock.

Carl

I'm having Aircraft Spruce do my harness, I'll report back in a couple of weeks when it's done. They sent me a large worksheet telling me what to measure, etc.

Some thoughts:
- As you are planning on a full EFIS screen, there is little advantage of installing the GTN-750 over the GTN-650. Save yourself some panel space and a pile of cash. Carl

Carl, I respect that this is the right decision for you, but I totally think the GTN-750 is worth the extra money. The 750 map screen is sooo good that I use it all the time. Flying under the Dallas class B, it provides sector altitudes in a presentation that is way better than the G3X.

Also, the large screen makes data entry much easier.

I'd give up the 2nd G3X screen before I'd give up the 750 (but I wouldn't want to give up the 2nd screen either:).

Last edited:
Carl, I respect that this is the right decision for you, but I totally think the GTN-750 is worth the extra money. The 750 map screen is sooo good that I use it all the time. Flying under the Dallas class B, it provides sector altitudes in a presentation that is way better than the G3X.

Also, the large screen makes data entry much easier.

I'd give up the 2nd G3X screen before I'd give up the 750 (but I wouldn't want to give up the 2nd screen either:).

Yep - we are on different pages but that is what makes EAB work. I've been running dual SkyView displays for four years and, if I had option, I'd get rid of the GTN all together. But - as the rules are today one must have a TSO GPS navigator to be legal for GPS IFR. So the GTN is there to feed the SkyView the flight plan and approaches for display.

Carl

The 750 map screen is sooo good that I use it all the time. Flying under the Dallas class B, it provides sector altitudes in a presentation that is way better than the G3X.

Not to derail the thread, but could you post an example of this comparing the two? Our friendly G3Xperts are always listening and open to adding new functionality :)

Not to derail the thread, but could you post an example of this comparing the two? Our friendly G3Xperts are always listening and open to adding new functionality :)

I don't have a picture handy, so I'll try to put it in words.

The 750 map shows the airspace sectors with the sector altitudes displayed all the time. Like you would have on a sectional but without all the clutter.

The G3X shows the sectors on the Map page but it takes some screen touches to find the altitudes. The G3X Chart page has a Sectional but it's not nearly as easy to see the sectors altitudes as it is on the 750.

I had the 750 in the Bonanza and some of my friends had 650's, there is just no comparison while single pilot IFR....as far as the clock and compass, I do my IPC check ride every 6 months, my examiner is typical old school, which there is nothing wrong with that, but he wants timed turns to a heading via compass, and every approach is timed from FAF so if I were to loose RAIM, LOC or the White House shut down every satellite, I could still land.

Watching yall buzz Bridgeport is KILLING me :( while I'm down waiting for Garmin Goodies and engine IRAN.
Absolutely cannot wait to meet a lot of you and further my education once I get used to this little wheel behind me thing, which at this point I refer to as the "LITTLE DEVIL"

if you want an ATC type fuse box, check out the Bussmann 15712 rear terminal ATC 28 position fuse panel. These fuse panels series have a choice from 12 to 32 fuse positions. The largest version I could find on line was 28 positions. You can install it on a flip forward panel or easily intergrated on the panel face.

Do you need a Garmin GAD 27 for flaps, lights, startups, etc.

I live near two Sarasota Avionics shops. They dont have CNC capability for fabricating a panel. They gave me a bid, wasn't that great, and they lacked any real interrest in the job. I ended up going with Stein. After 24 panel revisions, multiple system changes , and a whole bunch of calls and questions, they are still willing to talk with me :)

Have you checked with Jason @ Aerotronics to see what their backlog may be?
Bob, thanks for the suggestion.....I just received word that my entire pre-wired panel will ship from Florida Nov 7th, I'm sure from what I've heard time wise that it will take me a good 3 weeks just to finish the install.
I have pulled almost every wire out of my plane ready for the new facelift.

FedEx destroyed my panel....gone...smashed, came out of the ship box and fell to the floor from an elevated conveyor. Wiring harness tore up and all trays mangled.:eek:
BUMMED OUT

You have to save the pictures somewhere else and then include the link. Save them on google photos or something like that.

I work for a company where vacation is a curse word.
Tell you what.....You carry on and graduate with high honors, I'll invite you to my hanger and provide the beer n BBQ, and in return you counsel me in the short version.:D

Stan. Sorry to hear about your panel shipping episode. I would jump on your offer to hang out and help if I weren't so far away. I retired 3 times already. Once from Boeing at age 28. Another from aerospace contract engineering at 34. And finally from industrial construction and warehousing at 45. Now I am a pecan farmer. Actually I call each change a "retirement" but in actuality it was more about having the guts to walk away from a perfectly lucrative position to exchange stress for peace. Until I would start something new and that thing got stressful. Not much stress watching money grow on trees down on the nut farm. But not a cakewalk either. Perhaps I should stop here. I suddenly feel as if I am not helping the situation.

Gig 'em.

Your pal Jim

Last edited:
I actually took vacation last week and can now see light at the end.
Wiring remaining...

Dual voltage regulators with diode heat sink DONE
[/LIST]
Shunt pin out DONE
Fuel flow pin out DONE
Fuel pressure pin out DONE
Fuel quantity pin out....since I have Princeton capacitive, found out these must get power those from ship, not +5 vdc from GEA 24 DONE
Oil press pin out DONE
Oil temp pin out DONE
OAT pin out DONE
Dimmer
Glare Shield LED Lighting
Programming

Can't decide if I will be heavier or lighter........I pulled every single wire out of the plane and started from scratch. The heavy Whelen power supply for strobes is history, nothing but LED.
There is a huge pile of wire on the floor, but the Garmin stuff along with shielded wire is not light either.

OMGoodness....I forgot the big news !!! The SEXY Hartzell composite n Spinner was delivered yesterday....Santa is WONDERFUL

Last edited:
AF1QipPWBrEk8Q695L9MarBrUhSKxDRKIvsJtz7XL34F

Have you checked with Jason @ Aerotronics to see what their backlog may be?

When I talked to Jason at the Synergy Air Quickbuilding class, and later at OSH, he told me they're running about a six month lead time... sigh. But he will keep the design fluid in case of changes and upgrades to technology during the wait. I'm going to use Aerotronics for my -8 panel... but don't tell anyone. I don't want to add to the lead time! ;)

Update....
Almost finished with wiring, I pulled fuse blocks and decided to go with push/pull Klixon breakers. The damaged panel was in good enough shape to let me finish wiring all harnesses connected to racks.

New replacement panel is curing from carbon fiber dip and will head to silkscreen tomorrow.

Before the shipping snafu, I had the panel/engine timing perfectly planned, about 3 weeks apart, but now however it appears that both the panel and engine ship next week...OOPS

Someone will be real busy, I hope Santa has a sense of humor and understands my passion.

For the last 2 months when the wife demands movie night and dinner, I invite her to the hanger...turn on Fox News and order Pizza:eek:

2016 PAID TODAY

Last edited:
UPDATE;
Installed panel and realized I cant get to the back of 750 to connect BNC connections :mad:
BNC pins are not as easy as everyone says if you don't have the right tool, but no worries...Stein's has plenty, and the right tool.

Lit everything up one at a time yesterday, exciting stuff !!!
Down to the programming and troubleshooting.
Hope to have all avionics associated work completed by the weekend unless the electrons Gods decide otherwise, because the engine arrives hopefully the 6th.
Cannot wait to get back in the sky.

Back