What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single Piece Wing Skins, P/N?

SuperRV7

I'm New Here
Hello, I am looking for the P/N for the single piece wingskins on the RV-7 wing? Can someone help me out with this? Mike?:)

You may have to call Vans for it. I recall not being able to find it. I called them and they knew what I was talking about.
For others who do not know what this is. There is an optional single piece top wing skin that is a little thicker, provides a bit more rigidity, and gets rid of that nasty mid span seam. Eliminates that wing skin canning. At least on the 2 planes Ive flown with it, including mine.

Hello, I am looking for the P/N for the single piece wingskins on the RV-7 wing? Can someone help me out with this? Mike?:)

Any luck with this?
is this a wrap around skin? top and bottom? just the top?

Still CNC punched?
i see another builder just bought some large sheets but there not punched

Any luck with this?
is this a wrap around skin? top and bottom? just the top?

Still CNC punched?
i see another builder just bought some large sheets but there not punched

It is for the skin from the main spar to the aft spar. The leading edge is divided between the fuel tank and the leading edge skins.

No Joy

Just got off the phone with Vans asking about this (I'm about to order my wing). They said they haven't sold those skins in "years." Hope this helps-

Skin

You could always "Boldly Go". Buy a large sheet, lamp the smaller sheets down and drill it. Cleko in place, mark the excess and cut.

While getting rid of the .032 to .025 transition motivated some, most of the single piece skin guys "back in the day" that I remember, and there are very few, are machine counter sank, not dimpled. For an experienced, and qualified craftsman, you could achieved a finish that you simply can not achieve with dimple dies.
If you are lucky enough to own an Art Chard manufactured airplane, or chance to see one, they are fine examples of the one piece counter sunk wing.
Also, those that where skillful enough to adopt this method swore it was faster as you could finish the match drilling and countersink in two operations without dis-assembly and you eliminate the dimpling process for the ribs and skin.
I would not recommend this approach unless you are a master craftsman and an expert at countersinking. That was, and probably still is, above my pay grade. Most where professional builders before the rule change.
This is what I remember, but that is a long time ago. I am sure Scott or other local long time builders can chime in if I have mistated anything.

I made mine

I have .032 single piece upper skins on my -4. Several of us in NC ordered the material years ago when we were building at the same time..I have access at day job to a big shear, and I sized them for the 3 of us. I machine countersunk mine, and since the -4 and -6 didn't have any pre-punch, we just proceeded per plans minus the lap joint. I ordered my wing kit with no upper skins from Vans knowing I was going to do it. I suppose anyone else with a PP skin could use it as a template to drill the one piece . I used 4'x12' sheets, that were about $150.00 each at the time. I love not having the lap seam.

Back