What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I fix this stupid mistake?

amaris

Well Known Member
Well in my attempt to get a task finished before leaving for the night, I drilled the leading edge top skin (w-701) for plate nuts having "remembered" that I needed to do that.

So now I have the holes in the skin where the rivets should go, but that's obviously not right. Can I fill them somehow and make it look good or do I need to buy a new skin for close to $150 w/ shipping?

Well in my attempt to get a task finished before leaving for the night, I drilled the leading edge top skin (w-701) for plate nuts having "remembered" that I needed to do that.

So now I have the holes in the skin where the rivets should go, but that's obviously not right. Can I fill them somehow and make it look good or do I need to buy a new skin for close to $150 w/ shipping?

Dimple the holes and install shortest rivet you have. No big deal.

As long as there is nothing in the way of the skin dimple and rivet shop head, go with what David said.

Painter will take care of the rest if you want it to look totally smooth.

Joint plate

Isn't there a joining strip in there? Maybe not thinking of the same place you are.

Back