What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flop tube

Adam W

Well Known Member
some advice please
originally i ordered flop tubes thinking id prepare everything along the way with aerobatics in mind. i have no aerobatic experience in my 800 hours nor do i know that i ever will.
i then read that its normally done with only one flop tube in one tank and a rigid tube in the other - ok
then i've read that flop tubes require changing, they lose their flexibility or something and become un serviceable.
so given that, and the fact that ill probably never fly sustained inverted flight i decided id forget the flop tubes. i ordered the rigid pickup tube with the strainer from vans and they have been back ordered since august. i am now in need of this to get my tank finished and its not available. so my question is

is the flop tube really an item that requires changing periodically? if not ill move ahead with it. i know i can make the rigid tube as per the manual but i really prefer the one with the strainer. sorry for the long back story just to ask if flop tubes are really a problem

I've never heard of the flop tubes needing to be changed periodically. I have a flop tube in one wing and have no intention of sustained inverted flight in the RV, so I would be interested in knowing if that is true or not.

The tube and strainer fuel pickup is mounted on the access plate, so there is no need to install this anytime soon. Just means you will have to wait to leak check the tank.

If you think you need one right away, I may have an unused rigid tube with strainer at my hangar (Although, I am traveling for work right now and not sure when I'll be able to check).

The plans used to include instructions on how to make a pickup. All it is is a short length of -6 aluminum tubing, a hack saw, and a flairing tool.

If you don't have fuel injection *and* an inverted oil system *and* intend to do sustained inverted flight (not fun for most people), there is no point in having a flop tube for fuel.

And it's a lot more complicated and expensive and yes, if yours is like the one I removed from my -4, it's made from a length of stainless sheath rubber hose which will eventually get porous and at that point, it can start sucking air.

FWIW,

Charlie

i did some leak repairs on a 20 year old Harmon Rocket a while back. It's flop tube appeared a bit stiffer than new hose but still would flex it's full range as required. No sign of porosity.

I did not build my tanks but they both have the standard pickup plus a return port and a flop tube in the left tank (only). All options covered for the future.

I am currently connected to the left flop tube and standard pickup in the right tank.

Last edited:
Back