What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera Options

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
Guys
My wife and I are considering buying a GoPro or Garmin to record inside the cockpit while flying. I have been researching Garmin and it seems like you get more equipment with the purchase. I want an audio cable and Garmin offers that with a purchase.

I don't want to drop a ton of money but I would like something nice. I would appreciate any advice on what to do. I have never recorded before so I am a newbie to this stuff.

Thanks
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Either one will work

I have a few gopro cameras as well as the new garmin virb. Both have cables to pick up audio in cockpit. GoPro has a audio+charging cable that I wish the virb had.
Both have filters to get rid of the prop and mounts are basically the same. Beyond that it?s a toss on features between the different GoPro and garmin models. All work well.

I have them both. The Garmin VIRB 360 is far and away the better camera for aviation. I use it to video my aerobatics. It's very useful to be able to pause and scroll around 360 degrees to debrief every little detail of a flight. The video quality is great too.

Remember the F-16 cockpit video from Oshkosh this year? That was done with a VIRB 360.

I don?t like GoPro for airplanes. They overheat and lock up, batteries are short lived, and no reliable remote controls. I only use them when I can get to them to reboot as needed.

Garmin VIRB Ultra

Thanks Guys. I am leaning toward the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30.

Sportys is running a special now for $499. This is the aviation bundle.

There is also a $50 mail in rebate. Good until December 28, 2018.

Again, thanks for the help and advice. I just don't know a lot about cameras and I needed some help.

Respectfully
Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT

Back