What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Venders

ddj232

I'm New Here
Tooling up for my RV-8 build. Looking at Cleveland, Browns and Isham (PlaneTools) for their RV Tool Kits. Leaning towards PlaneTools for the DRDT-2 and pneumatic squeezer with their package. I just discovered however that ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply) also offers an RV tool kit as well. Comparing the four I've listed against Van's current recommended tool list, ATS actually has the most complete listing. Curious on any feedback on ATS or recommendations on RV tool kits. Looking through the forum I do not see any current threads about tool kits or tool companies.
Any info is greatly appreciated,

Don J

Buget buys

If you are on a budget then just put a list on VAF of what you need, especially the big items. Quite often I see DRDT-2's on here at a bargan price.

Steve

I recommend Cleaveland.

I spoke with them at Oshkosh before I started my project. They were very friendly and very helpful. Always helpful since via phone or email.

I'm in Australia and they sent it all here with no hassles. Even got the DRDT-2 from them.

I recommend Cleaveland Tool as well. Service is top notch. I bought my "kit" from them, spoke to Mike, figured out which tools people like to upgrade and followed his advice. I've had a few things break, which were quickly replaced at no charge. My pneumatic squeezer crapped out and Mike arranged for me to send it back to the manufacturer, who took care of me and sent along some replacement parts in case the seals wore out again.

They mostly all give decent service.

Add The Yard Store to your list. They have a wide selection of tools and great prices.

Dave

If you go with the cheapest quote you will get cheap tools and buy most of them again before your project is complete.

A few items are only need a couple of times, then go cheap, in most cases the answer is Cleaveland.

If you go with the cheapest quote you will get cheap tools and buy most of them again before your project is complete.

A few items are only need a couple of times, then go cheap, in most cases the answer is Cleaveland.

Don J:

I send you a direct email saying the same thing that is written above. Did not want to flame any vendor in public so see the direct email.

I have not been able to find tools that IMHO are better than tools sold by Cleaveland.

If you guys are talking about The Yard Store, so far I've only gotten some good stuff from them. Typically the same brand names I look for elsewhere, with good prices and very fast service.

That said, Cleaveland is the place to get dimple dies from, exclusively. But I've gotten considerably better drill bits from Gen-Av-Hwdr, and that's important since I'm building an RV-3B, which isn't pre-punched. I get to drill all the holes myself.

Dave

If you guys are talking about The Yard Store, so far I've only gotten some good stuff from them. Typically the same brand names I look for elsewhere, with good prices and very fast service.

That said, Cleaveland is the place to get dimple dies from, exclusively. But I've gotten considerably better drill bits from Gen-Av-Hwdr, and that's important since I'm building an RV-3B, which isn't pre-punched. I get to drill all the holes myself.

Dave

What is this pre-punched stuff you speak of. You mean there?s kits that are already drilled? Bolder dash!:D
Second or I guess tenth for Cleveland. Got my original tools from them years ago and everything since. And DJ at Cleveland creates some of the nicest upholstery out there. They stand by their products.

Tool Vendors

Thanks to all for the responses to my question on tool vendors, highly speculative topic.... After speaking with Annette and Mike at Cleaveland, wow, great people, I am leaning heavily their direction.
Thanks again.

Don

Cleveland at Oshkosh

Don if you make it to Oshkosh this year or any year for that matter, Cleveland always has their huge motorhome bus with a very large display where you can touch and see the quality of their products. :)

Yardstore

I have to agree with David on his recommendation of the Yardstore. https://www.yardstore.com
They are a local supplier to the Wichita aircraft factory workers and sell only aircraft sheet metal tools. Prices are competitive and their service is excellent. Couldn't be happier with them.

Back