Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2018, 07:38 AM

Sorry, no. I ordered mine verbally with the kit. Possible if you have an older 14 kit that the step attachment bracket was not included.
R
Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Here are the parts that I see in the instructions:

Fuselage page 26-17:
F-14145 Step Attach Angles (1 piece that you separate into L and R)
F-00016-L Step Attach Weldment
F-00016-R Step Attach Weldment

Fuselage page 26-20:
K1000-08 nutplates (4 ea.)

Finishing page 42-05:
F-00018-L Step (tail dragger part #, probably shorter than the F-00017-L Tri-Gear version)
F-00018-R Step
NAS1304-31 bolt (4 ea.)
MS21042-4 nut (4 ea.)
NAS1149F0463P washer (8 ea.)
F-01447A Step Cover (2 ea.; this is a guess on my part but I think you do need this tri-gear part because of the additional nutplates installed on page 26-20)

If you get prices for these parts or find others that are required, can you please send them to me? I am about to rivet the baggage floors on and now would be my last real opportunity to change my mind about steps, which this thread has me tempted to do despite all my previous over-thinking. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 AM

Well, real simple, find some steps and use only the third step and floor.
Step up 10 times and see if this works.
Now with a little momentum, bound down the steps skipping the last two, 10 times.
If you do not find yourself at the hospital, YOU should be fine. Just donít get old.
Now, start working out because youíll need to help move your pax when they go down and become a sack of beans keeping you from your $100 hamburger.

Oh, do not try the steps with bare feet. That day I became a sack of beans.
Ouch! Hitting the ground was half the pain that my foot felt. Dumb
Cheers,
R
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM

I received my fuselage kit in September and it included the hardware needed to add steps even though I'm doing a TW build. The cover plates are also included if you don't want steps.
RV-14 #140469
Empennage Kit Complete - mostly
Working on Fuselage Kit.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Would anybody want to guesstimate how many hours it would take to install two steps on an already completed 9? I am already old and those steps sure would be handy.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALagonia View Post
Would anybody want to guesstimate how many hours it would take to install two steps on an already completed 9? I am already old and those steps sure would be handy.
There is a step specifically designed for the tail dragger RV-14 (it is shorter that the one for the 14A).

There is no step for the RV-9. you would have to use the RV-9A step which would be a bit on the long side for that application.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 12-06-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
There is a step specifically designed for the tail dragger RV-14 (it is shorter that the one for the 14A).

There is no step for the RV-9. you would have to use the RV-9A step which would be a bit on the long side for that application.
Yes, they need to be modified. I'm installing them on my -7 build and I'm planning on shortening them several inches.

Mark
Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 PM

I spent some time contemplating adding steps, or provisions for them, to my RV-14. I got prices for the parts listed in my prior post. And then as I was working on the plane, I noticed that I already have some of them. The F-00016-L and -R and F-14145 pieces came with my RV-14 taildragger fuselage kit. (Note that the F-00016 parts are powder coated.) So you just need to substitute the F-01447A step covers in your finishing kit and buy the RV-14 TD STEP KIT from Van's, which includes the two steps and the hardware (bag 3093) to install them.

Adding the steps later would not be trivial or a solo job, but it looks to be very doable. I would go about doing that by drilling out the rivets for the step hole covers, re-riveting the step attach ribs to the skin, preparing the F-00016 assemblies, riveting them into place using CherryMax rivets on the sides and AN470AD3 rivets on the bottom skin, and then bolting in the steps and putting the new step covers in.

Thanks to Van's for the design work that makes my decision not to put steps into my plane something that I can change my mind about in the future. If I later decide that I want or need steps, I just get to dust off my rivet gun and get a friend to help.