VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 AM

Default Whelan Strobe Issue

Since you all solved my last lighting problem, I have another challenge. I recently bought this plane so donít know exactly how things were wired - I am learning as I go.

We bought the plane and the wing strobe lights didnít work. Looked like they were both burned out (lamps). They are Whalen 601 lights. The tail strobe did work fine. I thought it was odd that both burned out as the plane had 1300 hrs and I thought they had a longer lifespan.

Installed two new bulbs and they worked great...... for about 4 hours and now both are not working. Tail strobe still works. It is one switch that operates all 3 strobes. I am guessing there are two ballasts, one for wings and one for tail as the wings and tail flash at different times. Or maybe itís one ballast and they are both hooked in. Not sure as I donít know where that was installed.

I have not checked the fuse but when we got the plane the fuse was fine and since the tail is working I assume the fuse is fine still. Will check tomorrow.

** My partner told me the strobes stopped working so havenít inspected the bulbs yet but guessing they are blown like last time.

Any idea what the lifespan is on these bulbs and any ideas what might be burning the bulbs if that is the case? I think these are grounded to the wings like the other lights if that matters.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM

If I remember, my Whelen power pack has a jumper that determines the strobe sequence. ie all three strobes at once or alternating between tail and wingtips. You might check to see if the jumper and other connections are correct.

Just a guess/suggestion.

Good luck

Sam
VAF#812
Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 AM

My recommendation, if this turns out to be an expensive fix donít dump more money into it, replace with AeroLED nav/strobes.

Carl
Old 12-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
My recommendation, if this turns out to be an expensive fix donít dump more money into it, replace with AeroLED nav/strobes.

Carl
If you go the replacement route, you can also check with Whelen. Their replacement LEDs use the same form factor as the original style and importantly the same holes for mounting. This is the route I took when I replaced mine and saved me from having to do any fiberglass work. They work great.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Aero Valley Airport, TX)
Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX7A View Post
If I remember, my Whelen power pack has a jumper that determines the strobe sequence. ie all three strobes at once or alternating between tail and wingtips. You might check to see if the jumper and other connections are correct.

Just a guess/suggestion.

Good luck

Sam
+1
Pull gently on the jumpers and make sure one isn't loose. Also, watch output connections when power is on (don't touch!) and see if one is arcing to ground.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18 AM

Any idea where common installation places are for the module in an RV7 and what the box looks like?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Could be mounted anywhere, luggage area, under luggage area, behind luggage area, under seats, anywhere you can hide a 5"x6"x2" box.
I have a 9A in here right now that has the power pack mounted on the sub panel in front of the efis- definitely not my first choice for location!
My suggestion- check wiring & grounds before replacing anything.
I once had a nav/strobe system that repeatedly lost ground & took forever to diagnose. Turned out to be galvanic corrosion between the light socket & metal lamp mounting plate (they were stamp crimped together!) There was a blue cloud in the hangar that day!!
Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM

If it is a standard System 6 the power supply where all the connectors meet will look like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...rsupplies7.php

If you haven't looked already looked, take off the two piece bulkhead behind the baggage area (unscrews). Devices are often attached to the side of the plane just behind the bulkhead.
N777JT Reserved