- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
I have the same body specs you do. I have done many such trips in my -6a. I have found the removal of the center tower (allowing me to move my legs side to side on a long trip) the most beneficial comfort modification to date, not sure if your potential plane has said tower or not. Before and after pics HERE.
Thank you. The aircraft that I am looking at doesnít have a center tower.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I suppose I should share .. I say VFR, but it is by choice. Iím a 7000 hour ATP rated professional pilot. Certainly could fly IFR if the need was there, but it isnít my preference in a piston single.
This is an easy trip- partner does it all the time VFR to Oceanside. Though we are working on making the RV6A more capable to get in and out of the coast on one of those June gloom days where it just hangs around...
More data: Our flight plan- around 9.5 or 10.5k 7.5 GPH at 155 kts.

Brad Ransom
http://www.westcoastravens.com
RV-6A 180HP-acquired
RV-4 180HP-acquired
Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 AM

The longest I have flown my carbed 160hp fixed pitch 6A for is 5 hours, bladder endurance is the most significant issue. Plenty of 3 hour trips. At full throttle I can see 170KTAS at 8000ft +, and around 9gph. At 150 KTAS I'm at around 7 to 7.5gph. I can run lean of peak if I try hard. I would suggest fuel injection and at least one electronic ignition will help on long trips to reduce fuel burn.

For the cockpit I would look at a Classic Aero interior & seats and a Kroger sun shade. For the panel 2 x G5s + TC provide a reasonably priced upgrade to a steam panel and allow the installation of a Garmin (GMC507) autopilot. A good engine monitor will also be helpful.

Pete
Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM

If your primary use is going to be a 420 mile trip three times a month you might look at the RV9 or 9A. It designed for cross country flying. Since it has a different wing than 6 or 7 it actually cruises a little faster on less fuel using the IO320. Of course my true preference is the 14 because of the roomier cockpit.

Just a thought.