What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio (mic only) issues

Nova RV

Well Known Member
The standard stereo jacks in my 14 work perfectly with my older David Clark headset but with my Bose A20 the microphone is fuzzy and not clear at all unless I pull the plug out a tiny bit and even then it's hit or miss. There is no continuity between the aircraft ground and the jack ground and the audio works perfectly at all times. Audio panel is a Garmin GMA245R. I wasn't planning to rewire for lemo jacks but I need this to work. Any ideas?

Is your older DC headset stereo? page 8 of your 245 pilot guide recommends stereo only. A mono will short out the right side and your other headset in stereo will only work in the left ear. I had planed to use some older headsets for my 10 build rear seats now I am thinking is there a way to rewire them for stereo.

Since OP says audio works fine I doubt it?s a mono-stereo thing.
1. Get under the panel and observe the jack as you insert the mike plug. Is there any interference? Sometimes the moving parts hit something as they move out.
2. Carefully compare the DC and Bose mike plugs for any differences. Does the Bose plug hit a sidewall when inserted?
3. Given the symptom, try putting a small washer over the Bose plug and then insert it.
4. If the Bose plug is thinner, it?s okay to slightly bend the jack connection arms in.
Rememberthe mike connection is the barrel, not tip, connection.

Thanks guys, I narrowed it down to not being able to seat the headphone jack fully in order for things to work properly. The mic plug is fully seated and if I fully seat the headphone jack, the mic is all fuzzy through the headset via intercom but is clear transmitting on the radio but by pulling the headphone jack up slightly, it all sounds great through the headset. I have new jacks coming so at some point I need to pull these and see what the issue is and possibly replace both the pilot and copilot headset jacks unless it's just a rebending of a prong that is needed. Since I am overall happy with the Bose, I may just install a LEMO jack as well.

Back