- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Looking like maybe it only tracks IFR flights? Not sure really where t find the flights to be displayed but I'm thinking that if this is what I worry about, life must be pretty darn good!!
You have to register an account, even a free one, to enable the position only flights within your settings. If you're not logged in, it will not be available.

At least this is the way it is on FlightAware. I use this function as an easy way to keep up on my logbook, as it records all of my flights with off/on deck times.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 PM

This system is ripe for abuse. Anyone can go to the FAA website and get your hex code. Anyone can re-program their ADS-B with that code. If I had nefarious intentions, that's what I would do.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
Cyber security people think about similar issues everyday. As pilots, we are a trusting group. Think a tower controller ever looks at the N number with his binoculars to see if the number is the same as what he/she heard on the radio?
NAH....
You program your plane with an ID. Who says you told the truth?
A bad actor with ill intent could not have an easier job... than spoofing ID of an aircraft in this country. Now go back to your morning coffee... I am off to the hangar.
Yes, I actually think about this kind of stuff all the time. There are a lot of holes in many automated systems.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
That's a good idea for all of us. I, too, recently entered my own N-number into my "My Alerts" list. That way, if my airplane is in the system, I will know about it. You don't have to have ADS-B out to be tracked on Flightaware.
Generally not, but if you aren’t flying “in the system” (with a discrete 4096 code) the only way you can see most flights is as an “enterprise user.” Fortunately you can get a free enterprise account with FlightAware by operating an ADS-B feeder for them.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
I have the opposite question... I have made several flights since my install but I have never shown up on the tracker sites? and my FA test passed with no red boxes. Should I be worried?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFE View Post
If by "tracker" you mean FlightAware or one of the other tracking sites... You need to enable "position only" flights to be displayed. That is the only way to get listing of flights where you are not entered into the ATC system through a flight plan.
Quote:
You have to register an account, even a free one, to enable the position only flights within your settings. If you're not logged in, it will not be available.

At least this is the way it is on FlightAware.
I have ADS-B OUT, I do not have an account with FlightAware, but FlightAware shows my recent flights (like the last weeks worth) where I'm not in the ATC system. Maybe I misunderstood something in your posts.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 12-04-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Yahtzee!

Quote:

At least this is the way it is on FlightAware. I use this function as an easy way to keep up on my logbook, as it records all of my flights with off/on deck times.
Thanks for your help, I registered and just like that, all my flights showed up.