VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Default New Zealand flying opportunities

Going to be there for 2 1/2 weeks starting this week. Looked into An FBO type check out rental program, however somewhat time consuming. Any one know of a place that does " dual " instruction with an extra pax for a few hours. Ok in reality looking for a little morre inexpensive way for my wife and I to go up for a couple hours in liew of the rather expensive tour companies. Doing most of Country but 2.5 days around Wellington
Old 11-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Despite what our CAA rules state, you’ll struggle to find somewhere who will rent you an aircraft without a comprehensive check flight syllabus. Its probably not worth getting your foreign license validated and going through the process for the short period of time you’ll be here. You won’t have problems getting ‘dual’ though.

If you’re in Wellington, probably the best place to try would be Wellington Aero Club. The have 172’s, various Pipers, and a CJ6A if you want some radial time. It’s a great location to fly from, plenty to see an hours flight time from the airport. If you’ve got the time, drive (or fly!) over to Masterton airport and have a look around, lots of interesting WW1 stuff there.

If you find yourself in the top of the South Island, I’m in Nelson, and would happily take you for a flight around the area.. and Omaka airfield is near by, with a busy warbird scene.

Feel free to email me if you want any tips on Wellington or NZ travel in general.

Hugh-Thomson at hotmail dot com.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM

Oh and if you’re in Auckland, I’ve got a good mate who would be happy to give you ‘dual instruction’ up there, 172, 182 or Cherokee. Scenic flights around the Auckland city and coast areas are good fun.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Thanks Hugh. We gunna spend time on the flight over finalizing what we’re doing at the various locations I’ll look into your suggestions.
Mike
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Wellington

Hi,

I too would recommend Wellington Aero Club. Simsy is the CFI and with his team are very friendly to all. flywellington.co.nz is the email address. There is some great flying around the capital including over to the Sounds with pretty neat scenery. If strip flying is appealing to you then there are dozens of small strips within an hours radius. As Hugh said, Omaka is well worth the visit, especially the museum.
Donated
Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 PM

Peter Hendriks @ NZ Flying Adventures, based at Wanaka in the Sth Island...all of NZ is beautiful, but the Wanaka / Queenstown / Fjordland area will blow you away