What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag clocking

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I?ve got a pmag on both sides. Is there an ?up?. Seems it wouldn?t matter and the install doesn?t say.

Install is such a way that you can access the hold down clamps and view/check the wires as they enter the terminal strip. The Two P-mags will be orientated differently from each other to accomplish this.

Bevan

Thanks. Next question is installing the gear on the second emag. I ordered my thunderbolt engine with one pmag and the slick mag not installed. Lycoming provided me with the gear for the second pmag.

How hard do you have to push to get the gear on? I?m not wanting to force it but it seems a really tight fit

Install the gear and torque it to the value for the size bolt, I believe around 15 ft/lb or 180 in/lb

on the orientation, you might want to set it in such way that you can easily see the temp stick or better yet, get some temp indicating sticker from McMaster which actually shows different degrees.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/638/=1ckmd80

Last edited:
Please read and understand the manual for the P-mags. These are your ignitions, so please make sure you install them correctly!

Fell free to contact me, if you have any questions regarding the setup and operations.

+1 what Bill said

Also, call or email Emagair and talk to Brad or Trent. Their customer support is fantastic. Service and support after the sale is amazing. Don?t miss the opportunity to get their advice.

Page 13 of the manual says to install the mags in a convenient orientation. You mount according to your needs. I can tell you that ANY choice you make will have pluses and minuses because of limited access. I also suggest you take pictures of a mag from all angles so you can remember where different parts are and also read the labels on the case. Once the mags are installed they are tough to access and/or see...as you already know.

Remember you have to be able to see the LED to time them so plan for that as well. I have the IO-390 and it looks like a 2 person job to get them timed.

The right one will fit any which way but the left one is limited. I think now that the torque spec for the mags is 204 in-lb and that a new star washer should be used each time. I think I?ve seen people not use a new washer when setting mags. ACS has them.

Back