What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time to complete the RV-14 wing?

Gary , welcome to VAF. My wings are not fully finished yet as we need a pre-cover inspection before closing up here in Canada. I am not keeping track of my time as my day job has me doing so and I jump from job to job there and it's a real pain. With that said, I'm fairly confident I could build a set in app. 300 hrs.
I'm sure someone on here must have kept track of there time. I built a set of RV-10 wings and I'm sure that helped as I did not have to do the research that I did before building the RV-10 wings.
Ron

Gary , welcome to VAF. My wings are not fully finished yet as we need a pre-cover inspection before closing up here in Canada. I am not keeping track of my time as my day job has me doing so and I jump from job to job there and it's a real pain. With that said, I'm fairly confident I could build a set in app. 300 hrs.
I'm sure someone on here must have kept track of there time. I built a set of RV-10 wings and I'm sure that helped as I did not have to do the research that I did before building the RV-10 wings.
Ron

I would say 300 sounds right.

I'm a first time builder and I'm sure I'm even slow in that context. I'm showing around 280 hrs so far and have a couple of things left to do. Fuel tanks and bottom skin will be the most time consuming so I'd guess I'll be around 350 to 375.

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Since the wings require drilling to size and deburing, and the rest of the RV-14 kits supposedly don't (I read that somewhere), one would assume that the remaining phases of the RV-14 will go together even faster.

I previously built an RV-8 empennage, wings and fuselage before I sold it. It was a very enjoyable experience. I am ready to give it another go, this time with the RV-14. Sounds like the build will be much faster than the RV-8.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Since the wings require drilling to size and deburing, and the rest of the RV-14 kits supposedly don't (I read that somewhere), one would assume that the remaining phases of the RV-14 will go together even faster.

I previously built an RV-8 empennage, wings and fuselage before I sold it. It was a very enjoyable experience. I am ready to give it another go, this time with the RV-14. Sounds like the build will be much faster than the RV-8.

Thanks.

Just to clarify... Only the parts that are common to the RV-10 require final drilling (because that is how the RV-10 parts were designed). A lot of the RV-14 parts (skins in particular) do not need final drilling.

wings done

I logged 285 hours to build the wings ( four months ) I primed the mating surfaces. I also used the hydraulic c-frame dimpler that Cleaveland Tool sells, makes easy work of dimpling.

Back