What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Gear Install Question

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I am about to install the Grove airfoiled legs. I didn?t get instructions with the gear legs, may be we just have to use the Vans instructions.
I understand that I should use the Vans supplied wear plates and the Grove attach brackets. For the outer brackets In the Vans construction manual it is said to match drill the outer holes through the U-brackets into the fuse. However there are prepunched smaller holes in the fuse and the weldment in the approximate location and when following the manual they are not used or just "drilled over". Am I overlooking something?

Here are two pics for clarification

Underside of fuse

Inside the gear tower

Those holes should have been drilled to #19 and fitted with flush screws when the lower longerons were fitted and drilled to the forward floor. From page 8-16 of the construction manual:

Final-Drill #19, the two screw holes common between the F-822-1 Fwd Floor Panel, the F-813-L-1 Lower Longeron, and the WD-822-L-1 L.G. Box Weldment. Machine countersink the two #19 holes (flush head on the bottom side of the fwd floor panel) for flush screws (See “F-843-1 Details”, DWG 67).

Thanks for the detailed answers.
After a few days off from my RV-8 build I drilled the gear legs to the fuselage today. The two holes I was asking for are filled with their screws and all went well.

Back