What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old pitot tube hole in spar

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
I have replaced the old pitot tube with the SafeAir mast. Now I need to fill the hole. I'm also concerned because the hole I did many years ago seems to be very close to a rivet. See the picture. I am sure I've seen a thread about this before but can't find it now. Suggestions?

al4ebJ.jpg

One method is to fabricate and install a freeze plug. You need to fabricate the plug using stock of the correct thickness or slightly thicker than the spar flange and skin stack-up. The plug can be made by hand with some patience, or you can have a machine shop cut them for you. Make sure the plug fits very snugly in the hole, you may want to use liquid nitrogen or dry ice to shrink the plug, but in my experience a thin small diameter aluminum plug does not change much dimensionally when frozen. After the plug is fit, you will want to fabricate a doubler plate, or strap to retain the filler plug from the back side. I would at least use two rivets on each side, and one rivet in the center of the plug to secure it to the strap or doubler.

Use Two C-Sunk Washers to Sandwich the Skin

Fasten together with a c-sunk machine screw from the outside and a nylon nut on the inside.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I used a tinnerman washer on the outside and plain washer inside. Stainless screw and nyloc nut on the inside.

I know this is a stupid question before I even ask but will ask anyway. Why do you have to fill the hole at all?

Back