What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to order to start with the QB Fuse and Wings

YvesCH

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

on the 10th of August I will receive my QB Wing and Fuselage Kit.
As I will have holidays for two months I am already thinking about what
I have to order in advance. The last thing I want is to be stuck because
I live in Switzerland and all orders will take around 2-3 weeks..

For time beeing I have already ordered and received:

- Safe Air Pitot Static Kit
- Deluxe Throttles Front and Back
- Tailwheel Assembly from JD Air
- Grove Gear on the way.

What I want to order for the Wing:
- Greetz Bracket for the Garmin Piot Tube
- Wing Lights (position, strobe and landing lights)
- conduit for the wires inside the wings
- platenuts and screws for the wing tips

Fuselage:
- Roll and Pitch Installation Kit for the Garmin Servos (do I need already a servo to adjust the brackets?)
- Taillight
- Some wire, connectors, tools to wire everything up in the rear fuselage
(antennas, trim, GARMIN GMU22) before closing the turtle deck. And for
wiring up the wings (Lights, Fuel sender, Pitot Heat). I am already in contact with SteinAir
- XPDR and COM Antenna
- Adel Clamps (what would you recommend as a starter package?)

Generally I ordered Oops Rivets, Platenuts (for the floor), Screws etc

Did I miss something important? I think most of the tools i have already..

The Wing Craddle is already built :)

Cheers Yves

Yves,
Good luck on your build. A few suggestions:

I would recommend building a rotating fuselage jig. It will boost your productivity and reduce your back pain.

You will need to make several brake and fuel lines with complex bend angles. It may take several tries before getting them correct. Buy some extra aluminum tubing and a good flaring tool.

If you are planning to install removable floors, buy a platenut jig

For the rear baggage compartment floor clipnuts work extremely well and take no time to install

You might want to consider using Teflon lined stainless steal brake line hoses, particularly the one that runs from the caliper to the Grove gear. These can be bought from most auto racing supply stores.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=4

Enjoy the build!

Thank you for the quick reply!

"Yves,
Good luck on your build. A few suggestions:

I would recommend building a rotating fuselage jig. It will boost your productivity and reduce your back pain.
Good Idea! I will modify my rotating engine stand for that.
You will need to make several brake and fuel lines with complex bend angles. It may take several tries before getting them correct. Buy some extra aluminum tubing and a good flaring tool.

yes, I ordered with the kit some extra aluminium tube for this purpose. And the Rolo flaring tool is already here :)

If you are planning to install removable floors, buy a platenut jig
Ok, I will check that

For the rear baggage compartment floor clipnuts work extremely well and take no time to install
never heard of them, I will check it out

You might want to consider using Teflon lined stainless steal brake line hoses, particularly the one that runs from the caliper to the Grove gear. These can be bought from most auto racing supply stores.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?Product=4
Yes this is a good Idea! I also want to install the brake fluid reservoirs directly on the master cylinders, so the reservoirs from grove are on my list!
I also want to install a Parking Brake Valve but I dont know yet which ports I need (grove parking valve)

Enjoy the build!

FWIW, I installed a parking brake and would skip it on the next build. I even installed a contact switch so I could illuminate an LED on the annunciator panel when the brakes were set. It was fun to build but I found that it adds unnecessary complexity to the brake system. It also tends to weep. I keep a very low profile set of chalks in my side pocket that can easily be set in a second.

When I did use the parking brake it was sometimes difficult to break the suction. I have had them in for 3.5 years. They are on my list to remove at next annual.

Back