What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 brake lines/ fuel lines

When making your final connections on fluid lines, use hydraulic brakes as an example, even though they are AN compression fittings that screw together , would a good strong wrap of Teflon tape be a good thing or Teflon plumbers goop be a better way to go . I have heard discussion in both directions. Bill, Idaho.

No. Keep them clean. Teflon tape on compression fittings serves no purpose and you risk introducing pieces of tape into the line which could cause undesirable results.

Where folks have used paste/tape would be on the pipe thread portion of the fitting, not the compression fitting end. I.E. The portion of the brake fitting that screws into the master cylinder. Same caution as above applies.

Use sealant on pipe threads ONLY (loctite 567 or titeseal are my favorites), no sealant of any type should be used on flared fittings!!!

When making your final connections on fluid lines, use hydraulic brakes as an example, even though they are AN compression fittings that screw together , would a good strong wrap of Teflon tape be a good thing or Teflon plumbers goop be a better way to go . I have heard discussion in both directions. Bill, Idaho.

You do not seem to understand how the connection is made liquid tight. These are NOT compression fittings, they are FLARE fittings. The seal is made between the flare on the end of the tubing and the cone on the fitting. Never use Teflon tape on ANY aircraft fitting, as a portion my break off and become lodged into a critical system [like the brakes] As mentioned earlier by other listers, use pipe dope on all pipe thread joints. The only thing I would possibly consider applying to the straight [non pipe] threads of the fittings and B nuts, would be anti seize compound, to prevent possible galling of the threads.

Back