What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus Mount in RV-8

jjeppson

Just about to purchase a Stratus 2 to compliment Foreflight. Any suggestions as to best mounting area in the RV-8 for the Stratus receiver? Was wondering if I will need to purchase an external GPS and ADS-B ant. for best reception. Thanks in advance.

Just about to purchase a Stratus 2 to compliment Foreflight. Any suggestions as to best mounting area in the RV-8 for the Stratus receiver? Was wondering if I will need to purchase an external GPS and ADS-B ant. for best reception. Thanks in advance.

I use the suction cup mount for my -6 and it works perfectly for me. It's mounted on the passenger side and below the canopy rails. However, because the unit is basically shielded from ground stations by the fuselage, I installed an external antenna from Dan (DeltaPop Aviation) and went from receiving 3-4 ground stations to 8-12 at most times. Well worth the cost and effort.

I have no problem with the GPS aspect of the unit as its visible to the skies.

Delta Pop link
http://www.deltapopaviation.com/Home.html ... Couldn't get the link function to work on my iPad.

You are going to love the Stratus. GREAT situational awareness as far as weather.

Last edited:
For summertime op's, I'd go the external antennae as well and mount/position the Stratus out of direct sunlight.

I use the suction cup mount for my -6 and it works perfectly for me. It's mounted on the passenger side and below the canopy rails. However, because the unit is basically shielded from ground stations by the fuselage, I installed an external antenna from Dan (DeltaPop Aviation) and went from receiving 3-4 ground stations to 8-12 at most times. Well worth the cost and effort.

I have no problem with the GPS aspect of the unit as its visible to the skies.

Delta Pop link
http://www.deltapopaviation.com/Home.html ... Couldn't get the link function to work on my iPad.

You are going to love the Stratus. GREAT situational awareness as far as weather.

I noticed that on the Delta Pop website, he recommends the Wilson amplifier. Did you also install the amplifier? Do you think it's needed?

Did you use the RG174 cable and connectors? How about on the Stratus end of the cable. How did you convert from RG174 (or RG400) to the ADS-B IN plug?

Thanks in advance. I would like to mount the Stratus in a more permanent location than instrument panel. I've had problems with over heating....

Don

Back