Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Been flying my new rv3b for a year, O.320 with low compression pistons (150 hp). 776 lbs empty weight. Cato 3 blade prop. I get 160 kts at 2500 rpm will easily turn over redline. Have not extensively explored top speed yet. Climb rates over 2000 rpm. I could probably use more pitch but for my mission profile I like the take off and climb performance.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 PM

The 'sleeper' wood prop is..Sensenich. I once had a 160 HP RV-4 with a Bernie Warnke (Catto is the modern day Warnke) prop that was crazy fast. Nothing special in the cleanup/cooling drag dept, and it was an honest 195 mph cruise a/c. The prop got broken and I never got the speed back with any other prop. I sold the plane, and the new owner later broke its current prop. He replaced it with a wood Sensenich, and it was just as fast as it was with the Warnke. The kicker is the price. Not as cheap as a Sterba, but about half the price of a Catto.

Charlie