- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2015, 04:22 AM

Default Engine/prop combination

Hi all,
I have done around 25 hrs in my (purchased) RV3a (G-RODZ formerly N68AR).
It has around 480hrs total time on it and as far as I can see from logs, it has had the same engine/prop combination throughout - Lyc 0-320 E2A and Culver wood 68/68.

I find the prop too fine, as it red lines the rpm with a handful of throttle left to go, and only achieves around 140 knots flat out. It does climb very well though.

My question is, as this engine/prop combination has suited the previous owners, is this the best set up as a compromise between speed and climb?

For me, I would prefer to utilise all the RPM range, sacrifice a little climb performance, and get a better top speed.

My 8 will be flying soon and I then want to refurbish the 3 and use that opportunity to improve performance. Can anyone suggest a new prop for my existing engine, or a better engine/prop combination?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
David
Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Check your PM's
Old 12-27-2015, 11:31 AM

I would like to know any recommendations as well. Have a O-320 with a 62 inch prop and am deciding my next step.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Just from reading other posts on VAF, perhaps it's worth giving Catto a call.

Dave
Old 12-27-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Just from reading other posts on VAF, perhaps it's worth giving Catto a call.

Dave
Yes, give Craig Catto a call.
http://www.cattoprops.com/

My -9, with it's original O-290d2 and Catto prop would top out at 140 knots and it is a bigger plane with less hp. I'm sure he will be able to help you.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Hi David, if you see this could you check your private messages, I have a question about G-RODZ. Thanks, Chris.
RV3A - bought
Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Default Catto

We have a custom Catto on ours with 160 hp and it climbs like a bat out of Hades. My Fixed pitch Sensenitch 180 hp RV-8 gets left in the dust when the wife throttles up the 3. The 8 was showing 173 knots true when she left me. Don't have the same instrumentation in the 3 so don't know what it's actually doing. Probably pushing 180 knots flat out.

Catto works magic in my opinion. No need for a constant speed on the 3 with this kind of performance.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM

I have a Catto prop on my -3 (O-320) and at about 8000 feet da I get a flat out redline right at engine redline of 2700 RPM truing at about 160 knots. The climb performance is well above 1500 fpm.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Default RV-3A Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 74 View Post
Hi all,
I have done around 25 hrs in my (purchased) RV3a (G-RODZ formerly N68AR).
It has around 480hrs total time on it and as far as I can see from logs, it has had the same engine/prop combination throughout - Lyc 0-320 E2A and Culver wood 68/68.

I find the prop too fine, as it red lines the rpm with a handful of throttle left to go, and only achieves around 140 knots flat out... David
The RV-3A I restored and flew for a year w/an O-290"G" (125hp) would max out at 185 mph (160 knots?) at 1K, so you must have a fabulous ROC with that prop!

Doug
RV-3A sold
RV-9A FWF
Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Prop selection

As others have said, you should call Craig Catto. I had the same issue when I bought my plane with the Vans FP Sensinich prop 70CM x 79 if I remember right.
I flew my RV-3 over to his shop, and we bolted on a test prop from an RV-6 race plane. I took that up and got climb performance numbers first, and then flew a triangle course at 7,500 ft with 5 minutes on each leg, recorded the data and came up with good averages.
He then built me a custom twist for my plane. It is a freekin claw. I am now bumping up against 200 kts level flight at 2850 rpm. It has sacrificed some climb performance, but really...It climbs at 1750 ft/min at 140 mph so I will take the top speed all day long.
Plan for weight and balance adjustment. My swap took 19 lbs off the nose and I had to get a lighter battery, and move it well forward to compensate.
Well worth it. Never look back. Craig is "The Man"!