VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Fuselage tank capacity

I’m in the process of buying an RV3A built in 2004. It has a fuselage tank but when I was looking at the aircraft I couldn’t see a capacity. Was it a standard tank size that came with the kit? The panel gauge shows 15 gallons...

Does anyone know if there is sufficient space behind the panel to fit a Garmin G5 or MGL EFIS?

Many thanks.
RV3A - bought

Last edited by Chris Cooper : 12-16-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 AM

The fuselage tank is supposed to be 24 gallons. I just bought a RV-3 and put a Garmin G5 in the panel, there is plenty of room.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks, I have asked the vendor to drain and fill the tank so I know for real. Did you add a magnetometer to your G5 setup? Where did you put it?
RV3A - bought
Old 12-16-2018, 12:03 PM

No magnetometer. I have one in my Citabria and everything works without one. Haven't test flown the RV-3 yet. I replaced a 3 1/8 compass with the G5 and added a 2 1/4 whiskey compass in a vacant hole.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM

My 1983 RV3A has a 25 USG aftermarket fuselage tank in it; donít ask me why. If you donít want to empty & refill it to determine its capacity, just measure it. 231 cubic inches = 1 USG.

Donated 2018 & 2019
Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks Rich. I wonít get the aircraft until the New Year but I managed to get the vendor to check the paperwork and the weight and balance says 99 Litres which is about 26 gallons.
RV3A - bought
Old 12-19-2018, 03:11 PM

Good stuff. Yes, litres are far easier to measure, but some folks still resist the simplicity of metric.

Good luck with your plane. I still havenít flown mine. Working on getting some tailwheel experience. Canít wait to get it airborne.

Donated 2018 & 2019
Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Iím doing the same Rich as I donít have any tailwheel time. I have about 10,000 hours but only 400 of it is fixed wing and none of that is tailwheel. Will be flying a Pitts in the New Year to get some dragging time.
RV3A - bought
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 PM

Default RV-3A fuel tank capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Iím in the process of buying an RV3A built in 2004. It has a fuselage tank but when I was looking at the aircraft I couldnít see a capacity. Was it a standard tank size that came with the kit? The panel gauge shows 15 gallons...

Does anyone know if there is sufficient space behind the panel to fit a Garmin G5 or MGL EFIS?

Many thanks.
BL: You really can't use the word "standard" in referencing the "3's", since each was a creation until itself before the days of pre-punched parts, etc. The 3A I restored and flew for a year had a centerline tank w/22 gallons; and I wish it had 25-26. It should have a tank capacity placard somewhere as well that the current owner could tell you about, or e-mail a picture of it, etc.

Doug

RV-3A sold
RV-9A Mazda 13B / FWF