What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear facing injector

m20e

I'm New Here
I have a IO360-B1E with a rear facing induction..has anyone been able to use this engine without changing the induction to forward facing?

Rear injector

Nothing is technically impossible, but after researching this I determined its not feasible with the engine mount structure right behind the oil sump. I started with a IO320B1A which has the rear inlet and replaced the oil sump with one from a D2J (vertical inlet). I don't care much for the looks of the intake snout but my project already had one and in end I wasn't willing to spend 2-3K and a month doing Fiberglas work to go with forward induction. Also some of the forward induction sumps can interfere with the engine mount.

Don Broussard

RV 9. Rebuild in Progress

Just a possible way out - the Glassair and Hiperbipe guys typically use the rear induction sump of the B1E. You might put some feelers out and see if maybe some of those builders have the sump/hardware you need in exchange for yours. A longshot - especially considering there's not too many new Hiperbipe builders out there - but it's a shot nevertheless.

Rear servo

Does the sump have a servo boss cast in the font ? I had a HIO360C1A
That came with a rear servo , drilled and milled the casting to mount it on the front .I made a cover for the rear hole that the throttle and mixture cables attached .
Can email a pic or 2

Unfortunately the B1E sump does not have the fwd facing boss. Only one easy option - the way it is now.

Last edited:
You can always change to a cold induction system. I use the ECI cold induction. It's a good upgrade for more power and front induction for ram air.

I installed a B1E and sprung for a Superior Cold air sump. I also relocated the fuel divider to the right side. Had to scrap the old Hartzell prop gov. Other than that, everything has worked out perfect.

Thanks for all the input...think I will go with the cold air sump looks like a good set up.

Back