What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running electrical and fuel lines together

albertaflyer

Is it ok to run electrical lines tied to fuel lines for a wing fuel transfer pump and if so, what is considered the proper way to do it?

thanks,
Tony

In a word, NO! Electrical and fuel lines need to be run separately.

The electrical lines are run in a conduit then exit and loop around to the fuel pump, which happens to be along the same route as the fuel line. They are currently zip tied to the fuel line. Just wanted to confirm what was acceptable.
Thanks for the quick response.
Tony

AC 43.131B 8-31 Fuel Lines and Fittings, para B "Routing". I cant copy and paste the section cause its a .pdf, but you can search for it if need be. You can run them together, but read the para for clarification on exactly how that is to be done. For sure, separation is the preferred method.

Additionally, Section 8 Wiring Installation, 11-96, para W (change 1) has a slightly more expansive and perhaps somewhat contradictory take on it as noted with the words "where practical".

Section 11-126 Flammable fluids and gases has similar wording as 11-96 in Section 8, but includes a picture of a wire bundle and fuel line together....

There maybe others, but thats what I found in a quick search. I did this as I'm also currently running wing wires and have tip tanks with fuel lines running in similar areas, so it was a good question that you asked......thanks.

Quote from AC 43.131B chapter 8 paragraph 31 page 8-19
b. Routing. Make sure that the line does
not chafe against control cables, airframe
structure, etc., or come in contact with electrical
wiring or conduit. Where physical separation
of the fuel lines from electrical wiring or
conduit is impracticable, locate the fuel line
below the wiring and clamp it securely to the
airframe structure. In no case should wiring be
supported by the fuel line

Back